Farewell Ted

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Farewell Ted

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:36 pm

Dear all,

As many may already know, one of our dearest fellow MGF friends has recently passed away. Ted (aka the "Green Squirrel") unfortunately passed away last week, having battled many illnesses.
TedKarin.jpg
[Above - Ted and Karin]

He was a great personal friend - who I've known since at least 1998. In those early days, there was just one MG internet forum, and Ted was a frequent poster and fellow enthusiast. This felt like the birth of the internet and the MG Bulletin Board was the "Wild West". In this crazy town of a forum, many a lively debate and discussion was had (remember the periodic "flame wars"?) - with some of the classic discussions leading to Ted being immortalised in cartoons:

It was through the incredible Treffens that Ted organised and led that I think most here will recall Ted and his wife Karin. Both had huge wealth of experience in organising overseas trips (I am sure Ted had a PhD in herding cats - a very necessary skill!), and using their incredible local knowledge, would organise transcontinental through breath-taking, memorable landscapes, taking in wonderful, unique small hotels, on trips timed, it seemed, to the millisecond.
Normandy 2002.jpg
[Above - good friends Ted (right) and Andy (left) in happier times, somewhere in Normandy, "Le Weekend", 2002]

Ted was a fantastic driver and he loved to drive. He didn't hang about either - and that suited everyone who joined him on the many continental trips.
silverstone.jpg
[Above - Ted driving the "Green Squirrel" on circuit at Silverstone, circa 1998/1999 - MGCC Silverstone Parade Laps]

Don't spare the horses and don't loose the following crowd!

Ted has a truly international friend network through his love of his MGF - an MG that he kept until the bitter end. My thoughts and deepest sympathies go to Karin; we shall all miss this charming, lovely man who was definitely the embodiment of the "Marque of Friendship".

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Farewell Ted

Post by talkingcars » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Rest in peace Ted
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:53 am

Rest in Peace Ted

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 am

Also on the other side of the channel Ted will be missed. As he was one of the early people who took the effort in making the MGF world international. The British contingent was often focussed on meeting continentals. Either in Germany, Belgium, France or other country a gathering of friends was on the agenda. Ted showed the MG spirit and inspired many to do alike. Rest in Peace. My thoughts and deepest sympathies go to Karin.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 pm

I don't post very often but I remember Ted in the early days too. A magnificent example of the mark of friendship. Thanks Ted.

Ash

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Patrick
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: Jaguar I Pace

Post by Patrick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 pm

I too have nothing but fond memories of Ted and his deep commitment to the Marque of Friendship. I first encountered Ted on the dear old BBS when researching the F and deciding whether to finally buy a sports car. Ted was certainly one of the early adopters of the F and indeed one of the earliest contributors to the BBS. With his encouragement we bought our F in 97 and kept it for 16 years. Ted was very generous with his time and travel expertise organising the wonderful Treffens and Long Weekends. These delivered friendship, unparalleled driving experiences and great hotels with convivial evenings enjoying the local beer and wine. Ted was nearly always the life and soul of our little bands and the only way to see Ted less than happy was to arrive late for the daily drive!

The F has left us with a huge number of excellent memories and friendships, nearly all thanks to Ted. We will miss him!

His funeral will take place at Eltham Crematorium SE9 2AZ at 16:15 on Wednesday 2nd December. I think this is the last day of the current restrictions....

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Farewell Ted and thanks for everything MG.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 am

Just had a thought - would anyone want to virtually attend the funeral via a live-stream?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 am

PS I received a letter from Karin yesterday informing us of a change in time - will confirm next week, closer to the date of the funeral and update.