My new 'freestyle' project

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

jonny69
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: freestyle

Re: My new 'freestyle' project

Post by jonny69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:40 pm

The coolant alarm came from a guy on ebay. I'll find a link later for it. It works really well and pretty easy to fit with really clear instructions.

The mirror won't stick to the windscreen, the whole lot keeps falling off. I've tried lots of different adhesive that are advertised for the job but they dont seem up to it. I've just not used it for the last year or so 😁, it's in the boot.

I've had the cam cover off this afternoon and there's no sign of head gasket problems in there, no yukky mayonnaise at all. Same with the oil filler cap by the dipstick. It's just on the dipstick itself. It did very few miles last year and not many long runs so I'm wondering if it's condensation maybe ? Any ideas anyone ?

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:20 pm

jonny69 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:40 pm
The coolant alarm came from a guy on ebay. I'll find a link later for it. It works really well and pretty easy to fit with really clear instructions.

The mirror won't stick to the windscreen, the whole lot keeps falling off. I've tried lots of different adhesive that are advertised for the job but they dont seem up to it. I've just not used it for the last year or so 😁, it's in the boot.

I've had the cam cover off this afternoon and there's no sign of head gasket problems in there, no yukky mayonnaise at all. Same with the oil filler cap by the dipstick. It's just on the dipstick itself. It did very few miles last year and not many long runs so I'm wondering if it's condensation maybe ? Any ideas anyone ?
You probably already know this, but just in case it is helpful:
The "Glue Guru" who worked for Rolls-Royce (Aero Engines @ Bristol) who I used to work with advised me two key points when using epoxy adhesives:
1. All surfaces MUST be completely clean and glass is harder to get completely clean than it seems. Detergents to remove the diesel fumes and other road grime, then isopropanol or similar to remove any remaining residues + dry-out water.
2. Everything must be totally DRY. A hair dryer on the windscreen area and metal shoe in the airing cupboard.

As regards the low coolant alarm, an Ebay search came up with:

Hope you get to the bottom of the condensation/water-in-oil problem
Attachments
Low-Coolant_Alarm_Ebay1.png
Screen dump of Low-Coolant alarm Ebay
Screen dump of Low-Coolant alarm Ebay

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:07 pm

When glueing the rear view mirror, did you have the mirror attached or just the metal plate. In my experience you need to leave the plate to fully dry for 24 hours before attaching the mirror.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319