DVLA "tax it or lose it" letter

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

DVLA "tax it or lose it" letter

Post by David Dixon » Sat May 22, 2021 12:19 pm

My MGTF is at the moment still winter SORNed, mostly because of lockdown restrictions, but also winter weather still very much exists here in North Cumbria :( (sleeting again last night). Last year I didn't tax it until June solely because of lockdown. This morning I got a letter from DVLA with "tax or lose it" printed on the envelope, and letter reminding me I need to tax it to use or park it on the road. OK, so not as a heavy hitting letter that TV Licensing send out (I don't have a TV or watch live broadcasts, so I am familiar with the bullying and threatening correspondence used by TV Licensing :rant: ) but just wondering if any other owners who have cars SORNed at the moment have recieved a similiar letter from the DVLA. I find it ridiculous that the DVLA are sending these letters out in times of movement restriction albeit gradually being lifted, the cost multiplied by how many letters might be being sent out and "having checked its records" to send the letter, that they didn't notice I SORN MIG 9447 every winter. :roll:

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: DVLA "tax it or lose it" letter

Post by Geoff.F » Sat May 22, 2021 2:00 pm

It is best to look on the DVLA Website which will give you their Status for your car.
Geoff.F

Leefy

Post by Leefy » Sat May 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Throw it in the bin. As long as your car is either taxed and on the road, or SORN and kept off road, it’s none of their business why you choose to use the car in the way that you do.

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Sat May 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Last edited by David Dixon on Mon May 24, 2021 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 23, 2021 8:05 pm

I think it is an automated letter and a lot of people will appreciate the gentle reminder, bin it and move on.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Leefy

Post by Leefy » Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm

At what cost to the tax payer though? Absolute waste of taxpayers money plus the environmental impacts.

C-J
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1998 Abingdon vv

Post by C-J » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:43 am

Yes I also received that letter a couple of weeks ago for my SORNed F.

I thought it was a bit odd given that a) I don't normally get that of any other reminders to tax/reSORN - and b) that I actually taxed it for 1 month in Dec 2020 - therefore come May it had been on SORN for less time than any other year. Usually 9-10 months SORN per year, received this after less than 5 months.

I'm sure there is a logical reason - just not sure what! Perhaps as indicated in posts above, lockdown has triggered a lot of SORNing - and the DVLA are getting proactive to ensure that owners don't 'forget'. I'm guessing some might be tempted to risk it?

David Dixon

Post by David Dixon » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:47 pm

Taxed my MGTF on Tuesday, now we have some decent weather...checked the DVLA website for it's status...yep still shownig as SORN. So printed off the two confirmation emails from DVLA which are now in the glovebox, just in case i get pulled over by the police.If only a little disc could be displayed in the window showing a vehicle is taxed...

phillh
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by phillh » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:52 pm

David Dixon wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:47 pm
Taxed my MGTF on Tuesday, now we have some decent weather...checked the DVLA website for it's status...yep still shownig as SORN. So printed off the two confirmation emails from DVLA which are now in the glovebox, just in case i get pulled over by the police.If only a little disc could be displayed in the window showing a vehicle is taxed...
I totally agree :lol:

dinizchipon
MGF Register Region: Lancashire

Post by dinizchipon » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:18 pm

It's a bit late but I get where you're coming from with the DVLA letter. It can be frustrating to receive those reminders when you have already decided to SORN your car. I haven't received one myself, but I can see how it would be annoying. It's good to know that the tone of the letter wasn't as heavy-handed as the TV Licensing ones! Maybe the DVLA just wants to make sure everyone is aware of their responsibilities, even if they are currently unable to use their vehicle. And always keep your financial documents straight. I even use a special maker for pay stubs. Anyway, hope the weather improves for you soon so you can enjoy driving your MGTF again.
Last edited by dinizchipon on Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:51 pm

dinizchipon wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:18 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com