Chinese MG TFs

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Chinese MG TFs

Post by Fraser » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 pm

Is the market for the few TFs built by the Chinese any different to that for the MG Rover cars ? I ask because mine has the 'N' series engine, so I don't anticipate any problems there, although I've had one or two minor problems elsewhere. In fact the car has been very good once I put the proper tyres on it ! As it is now on a Lancaster classic car policy, I do wonder at its value, not that I'm selling. Of my four cars, (one a MB SLK), the TF is the one that goes in the garage in winter, the Merc has to stay outside !

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: Chinese MG TFs

Post by Roverlike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:31 am

There are some other differences related to som electric stuff, but I would say they are not so much different.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:19 pm

Fraser wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 pm
Is the market for the few TFs built by the Chinese any different to that for the MG Rover cars ? I ask because mine has the 'N' series engine, so I don't anticipate any problems there, although I've had one or two minor problems elsewhere. In fact the car has been very good once I put the proper tyres on it ! As it is now on a Lancaster classic car policy, I do wonder at its value, not that I'm selling. Of my four cars, (one a MB SLK), the TF is the one that goes in the garage in winter, the Merc has to stay outside !
You know, that is such a good question. I don't know. The market can be difficult to judge and someone's decision to buy a particular car can be quite personal. The Chinese cars are different in detail from the British ones. One important difference is the fact that the N-series was only ever offered as a 135bhp and only with the manual PG1 gearbox. I suspect that the VVC in years to come will have a premium over the 135.

N-series should be good on the head gasket front. There are a number of things that the Chinese changed for the sake of change it seems. The gear lever mechanism is not as robust as the simpler, all-metal version used by MG. But you can retrofit earlier parts to the later cars. There have been some issues with ECUs, but the older ECUs can be used on the later cars. The basic electrical architecture of the car is essentially the same as the post-2003 British TF - so that has the same "issues". Older cars use good, reliable Lucas electrics! On the upside, your car probably has a remote boot opener and you may have the option to reconfigure the BCU to introduce new functions if you so wished. Plus, depending on which version you have, you may well have parking sensors and other goodies that were never offered on the British cars. However, options rarely significantly impact upon value - only upon how easy it is to resell your car.

I think you're right though: don't sell and enjoy the car! The TF in all its version is a big-fun car. Drive with as big a grin as you can! :D

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:27 pm

I had a look around the 'net, and it seems less than 1000 chinese TFs were built; not many at all ! There is a pipe connection to the heater that was changed and when I was having the coil packs replaced, (common issue ?), they showed me this plastic connector was about to fail. If you look on the spares diagrams it is not shown, and in the end, the garage replaced it with a three way cast-steel gas pipe connector ! As this is about 5 times the weight of the plastic connector they have secured it to the bulkhead. I subsequently obtained the actual part from a place in Stoke-on-Trent and its in my garage somewhere, as I prefer the metal replacement, naturally.
Yes, the missus keeps asking me when I'm selling the TF, but really, there's no point as I don't need the money. For a car last made in 2010, there is a amazing amount of stuff still available. I decided to replace front and rear lower grills due to corrosion and the bonnet loick security cover is still available, so I replaced that as well as it was extremely rusted, rusted through, even.

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:48 am

Fraser wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:27 pm
...and when I was having the coil packs replaced, (common issue ?)...
Yes - twice in seven years for me!
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:17 pm

Touch wood, never on my 02 TF.
I do carry a spare coil pack along with other European trip small spares still in my front "stores".
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:17 am

Been through a couple of distributor caps/ rotor arms, but still on my original coil for my 1995 MPi ;) :lol:

paul_mgb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by paul_mgb » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:17 am

I've had the engine warning light come on twice in the last 6 months. First misfire on No 4, second misfire on No 1. I couldn't feel the misfire at all, the car appeared to be running perfectly. I've changed the leads and plugs now. The light is staying off but it did for a couple of months the first time. I'm suspecting a duff plug, although I had fitted Bosch long life plugs and they had only done 30,000 miles. I didn't keep them in order the first time when I fitted a second hand plug top coil and leads. I've had a problem with corrosion up the hole the lead plugs into on the coil over No 3 before and it was in a poor state this time and could have therefore caused the misfire on number 4. Given that No1 has its own coil it couldn't have been caused by a duff lead the second time but I'd already purchased them anyway. I've fitted normal NGK 'R' type plugs now. Its such a faff to get the engine cover off, that's probably why I fitted the Bosch plugs in the first place but my logic was faulty because you have to go in there every 20,000 miles or so to change the air filter. Might as well fit bogo plugs at the same time.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Not much advantage with super nice expensive long life plugs, I agree. Just decent standard ones with the appropriate rating :)

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:01 pm

Do you clear the light/code and see if it comes back?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

AntonyM
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by AntonyM » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:09 pm

One (2009) currently for sale at my local dealer for £7,995

http://chalfontmotor.co.uk/currentstock ... trol-2009/