Rain Water in both footwells & beneath both seats.

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Richie
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire

Rain Water in both footwells & beneath both seats.

Post by Richie » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:26 am

Hi All
I have had this problem since buying my 2000 TF.
I have sealed almost everything I can think of.
After heavy rain & the car is parked the footweels & beneath the seats have significant rain water in them.
I could understand it getting in from the roof or vents but it isnt because the seats are dry......the sides of the carpets are dry & if it is running in from the front boot how is it managing to get underneath the seats ie up an over the bulk head.
The boot is totally dry.
It isnt getting in by way of it being driven in wet weather because it only happens when parked during the day or over night when it rains heavy.
Its a real puzzle.
Can anyone help please.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: Rain Water in both footwells & beneath both seats.

Post by Charless » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:33 am

The TF was launched in 2002, so maybe yours is an F?
One of the differences between F and TF which might be involved in your leak is the air intake for the heater. The TF item is sometimes referred to as a 'snorkel' and is considered to be better as it is easier to seal into the bulkhead than the original F air intake. If you examine the archive on here (the search window in the PHPBB banner) there is a vast reservoir of experiences with general water leaks and specifically heater intakes. Use key words not phrases, there are years of frustrated symptoms and some triumphant solutions!

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:15 am

My thoughts are the same as Charless regarding the heater air intake.
Early (until mid 03-ish) TF’s retained the F’s heater box so the above would still apply if the car was a 2002 TF.

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 pm

For water getting in behind the seats, check that the sponge trim is not missing from the base of the hood, as this can be dislodged and lost when lifting the rear part of the hood to get to the engine.
Water getting into the front under the dash can be many things, but if like mine the panel filler has cracked and leaks so I just accepted it going to happen!
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:47 pm

Park with the nose of the car higher than the rear, water entering at the front of the cabin will drain and collect at the rear - and thus behind the seats.

If the water is dripping down behind the seats, Paul is likely right, but this can also be a poor window seal problem.