Year by year guide/changes?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

The Hatt
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Year by year guide/changes?

Post by The Hatt » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:17 am

Hi all.

2 time MGF owner here, although not since 1999!

Curious, is there a good reference/thread that lists the year on year changes or milestones over the F/TF production run?

Would be good to know in detail what changed, for better or for worse over the years. I know certain revisions took place, but I'm not entirely sure of the scope of changes or if it makes any models ones to desire or avoid more so.

Thanks.

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Year by year guide/changes?

Post by Chris Tideswell » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:33 am

For the TF

02MY:
Changes from the F apart from the obvious:
A change of cylinder head design.
Deletion of the under bonnet light.
Radio/Cassette C23 & Link-Lead - Replaced by C42
VIN Plate - Change to content
Deleted Shift Interlock Solenoid
Deleated Seat Back Map Pocket
Deleated Rubber Wheel Arch Trim
Introduction of Instant Tyre Repair (for cars with 16” wheels)

Late 02MY:
Deletion of the flaps over the ECU and coolant bottle/remote oil.
Deletion of the boot net
Reduced Size of Union Jack Badge
Deleted Fuel Filler Sleeve

03MY
Deletion of rear bumper mesh
New design of heater intake box.
Deletion of the twin horns to be replaced by a single horn
Cheaper lower quality door locks.
Cheaper lower quality window winders
Lower quality sound deadening over the engine
Change in wiring loom and fuse box.

Late 03MY
ABS becomes standard on the 115/135
Lower emission and tax band for the 135

04 MY
The phased introduction of a coolant level alarm
New intruder alarm
The deletion of topcoat paint on the underside of the boot and bonnet lid.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:45 am

The better buy is the BMW built Mk 2 Fs before it was taken over by the Consortium who stripped it of many things that we know and probably more that we do not know of.
I bought my My 2000 at the March Geneva Motor Show when the Steptronic was Announced.
It is outside at 66K and GT-ised. viz No hood but permanent Hard Top.
Geoff.F

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:03 am

This covers the group but is worth a read - https://www.aronline.co.uk/history/hist ... ect-drive/
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:07 pm

I have MGTF 135 2005 model year, the differences I can think of
Low coolannt warning system
"Soft ride" suspension
15 in "V" spoke alloy wheels with Continental tyres.
Glass rear screen with working wiring and switch for heated rear window.
Rear "TF" badge located in the centre of the panel between bumper and boot. (The TF 160 had the rear "160" deleted, but with the addition of front wing "160" Badges.
Mine has the flaps over the ECU and coolant bottle on the under boot engine grill, however orginal owner couldn't recall if the car was supplied with grill but without flaps, or without grill completely and these were added by the dealer.
No half tonneau cover for covering folded down hood.
Rover 75 locking wheel nuts.*
Two horns**

*I am the second owner, orginal owner assured me it came with these locking wheel nuts. They may of course have been added/swopped by the Longbridge/dealer. I sure that Mcgards locking wheel nuts were generally used on TF 2005 model year. The Rover 75 items were just as soft as chocolate as the orginal MG Rover ones found on earlier F/TF's.

**I have seen other TF's of similiar age and spec' to mine also with twin horns. Orginal owner assured me it was supplied with twin horns.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Grill flaps and twin horns went with project drive so were defiantly not O/E on a 2005 while McGard lockers were OE spec long before 2005 0n the Zeds so I assumed the same applied to the TF.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:17 am

The twin horns were reinstated for the short lived 2005MY TF, given the circumstances it wouldn’t be surprise if this reinstatement was a bit hit and miss on the production cars.

I understand that all 05MY cars were all due to have twin pot AP front brake caliper's (hence the introduction of the 15 in "V" spoke alloy wheels) but these never found their way onto the production line.

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:32 pm

Chris Tideswell wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:17 am
The twin horns were reinstated for the short lived 2005MY TF, given the circumstances it wouldn’t be surprise if this reinstatement was a bit hit and miss on the production cars.

I understand that all 05MY cars were all due to have twin pot AP front brake caliper's (hence the introduction of the 15 in "V" spoke alloy wheels) but these never found their way onto the production line.
Indeed 2005 has 15"rims with the old standard brakes. (although a steppy requires better brakes as a manual geared car) But apart from the year things were included, added or removed. MGRover also had different options they put on continental cars and not on British ones as standard. So if you want to make a complete list of all that changed through the years it might be fairly complicated.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:49 pm

As a quick overview of the MGF/TF model progression, I made this over the years as each model and special edition came out: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/m ... #Model_Evo

The MY2005 was the last MG Rover iteration before the collapse, with the changes as described above. :)

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 pm

https://www.mgfcar.de/vin/emgf_vin.htm
Might be worth a look F & TF changes plus lots of other bits and bobs

paul_mgb
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by paul_mgb » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Mine is about 500 from the end of production at Longbridge made in March 05 but not registered until Jan 06. (can go into ULEZ despite being EU3) I have twin horns but no covers in rear grill. No mesh grill in rear bumper either. 15" wheels. Cheap radio/CD player. Leather seats though (must have been specified by person who intended to buy it and then didn't) We are only the second owners.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 am

paul_mgb wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:56 pm
Mine is about 500 from the end of production at Longbridge made in March 05 but not registered until Jan 06. (can go into ULEZ despite being EU3)
All 4-cylinder K-series sold after January 2001 are ULEZ compliant on the basis of their superb, low NOx emissions. :thumbsu: Earlier engines may also have been compliant, but EU2 did not require the separate measurement of NOx and HC... d'oh! :roll:

MrNatural
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 pm

It's so frustrating that despite being ULEZ compliant, we still have to pay charges in London, Birmingham, etc. As well as an extortionate price for E5 fuel :rant:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:33 am

They are trying to remove motorists from city centres and from the greater city areas as well. I live within the ULEZ. I have sold our beloved MG ZTT (diesel, non-compliant) and still have two MGFs that are both 1996 model year - so both non-compliant. And now, the council is wanting to introduce car parking control zones that are emissions based - another attempt to reduce the numbers of vehicles and another tax on older, cherished vehicles.

I am in two minds over this. First is that we do need to make painful decisions as a society if we are going to be serious in avoiding further significant CO2 rises. Second, these changes seem designed to stimulate the manufacturing sectors of far eastern countries (with all the CO2 that will involve) and penalise those of us with cars as a hobby. After all, a parked car does not emit CO2, nor do cherished cars do 10k miles a year... I feel unfairly penalised over this as I do use my feet and public transport every day: I do not use a car for commuting!

This will be no comfort, but expect these sometime punitive changes to come to a town near you soon.

MrNatural
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:59 pm

Yep, well put Rob :? The restrictions have been implemented in Birmingham, my local city, though I have always used the train to go to town and walk wherever I can too.
Hey ho...