Hardtops - OAP central

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Hardtops - OAP central

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:43 pm

My TF has stood outside in all weathers since 2004 on a sloping drive. Keeping the carpets dry, or really the underlay/ sound deadening is an occasional battle. The carpets can hide any signs of moisture underneath, so it takes the loss of some coins or something to make you fumble about under the seats to detect wetness :roll:
Recent heavy rain and strong SW winds have caused a problem on the O/S at the pivot point of the hood recently - despite having a MS sunmate strapped down on top.
Yesterday I got my neighbour to help me get the soft top off, and replace the hardtop. All good I thought, only to find water capillary creeping past the back window seal this morning :x I can deal with that given a day or two of dry weather - but was looking at the meeting of the seals at the door lock end.
I've always been confused which seal over laps over which, ie does the hardtop seal seat on the outside of the bulbous door seal, or vice versa? Logic says the hardtop seal should sit on top of/ outside the door seal, but it doesn't sit comfortably when all tightened down.
Is there a "proper" way the seal arrangement is meant to be?

Yes, I know - I know all about hood down, icicles in your hair, heater on full etc, but I'm more interested in avoiding a rusty floor ;)
I know of at least one other person who likes the lightness of hardtop only - there might be others lurking out there :o
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Hardtops - OAP central

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:17 am

Tell me about rusty floors :roll:

The seal runs over the window and meets the A-pillar seal pretty much square on IIRC

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:58 pm

The hard top is designed to fit over the folded down soft top. So with the soft top removed you no longer have the seal and sponge that prevents water going down the channel.
I have always found the car is always dryer with the hard top on even tho mine leaks through the panel joins around the windscreen!
You could always gets full cover or a garage!
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Bigfootmgf wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:58 pm
The hard top is designed to fit over the folded down soft top. So with the soft top removed you no longer have the seal and sponge that prevents water going down the channel.

Thanks.
Ah, you mean the sponge around the rim of the soft top metal base, but never had a "seal" there on my soft top from new. It never seemed to stop any water from new anyway, and also the MG faces downhill, so I'd prefer any water to run down the channel and exit via the door opening onto the sill. Now I've fixed the glass/rubber seal on the hard top, all seems set for the winter as no water is entering the channel now.

The garage option is out - my SJ occupies that spot. I've had two separate offers of £5k+ , which is more my than my TF appears to be worth :?

My soft top has a larger than OEM glass window and won't completely fold flat onto the parcel shelf, which is one of the reasons I take the whole lot off.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:26 am

mgtfnut wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:09 pm
Bigfootmgf wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Thanks.
Ah, you mean the sponge around the rim of the soft top metal base, but never had a "seal" there on my soft top from new. It never seemed to stop any water from new anyway, and also the MG faces downhill, so I'd prefer any water to run down the channel and exit via the door opening onto the sill. Now I've fixed the glass/rubber seal on the hard top, all seems set for the winter as no water is entering the channel now.

The garage option is out - my SJ occupies that spot. I've had two separate offers of £5k+ , which is more my than my TF appears to be worth :?

My soft top has a larger than OEM glass window and won't completely fold flat onto the parcel shelf, which is one of the reasons I take the whole lot off.
Hi Gerry
Ah okay interesting about the sponge! My hood is off a tf and had remains of sponge around the edge. I just found after years running with out it in heavy rain I had water behind the seats. So thought I would replace it and see if there's a difference. It seems to be mostly dry now.
(Well as dry as a car with leaky panels anyway!)

I understand now why you take the softop off!
Glad you have managed to seal the hard top window.

Great little cars just not perfect!

Paul
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page