Private registration

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

JEA55
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Private registration

Post by JEA55 » Tue May 03, 2022 9:32 am

Looking for some advice regarding selling a private registration - Has anyone sold a private registration? and if so can you recommend a particular registration sales site to use? or if sold privately, is it just a case of signing the retention document over to the person buying the reg? Thanks

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Re: Private registration

Post by EllsoJo » Tue May 03, 2022 5:06 pm

We have sold (but not yet received the £500) the reg Y2 JPL on behalf of my father-in-law, via a site called Swiftreg we dealt with James Anderson <james.anderson@swiftreg.co.uk>. We sent the V778 on 19th April and I queried that we had not received any payment earlier today.

To be fair to Swiftreg, they replied immediately, but replied as below:

"Good Afternoon,

It was sent to DVLA on the 21/4 we are just waiting for them to change the address and send back to us because of the bank holiday they are a bit behind but as soon as we get it back we will issue payment "

It is possible the ALL traders in private plates work this way, but it seems they expect to get their money IN (including a decent profit/mark-up) before they pay anything OUT.

My strong advice is: DO NOT ACCEPT ANY INITIAL CASH OFFER, unless you need money urgently. We were offered £250, but (hopefully) will get £500 in return for waiting 4 months.

There are plenty of sites you could try, a perusal of any of the classic car magazines should yield a few alternatives. Check their T&C's, just to make sure that if you register you do not end up being charged a "commission" regardless of how or where you eventually sell.

JEA55
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by JEA55 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:05 pm

Thanks very much for info. I might try and sell it privately to start with, and if I have no luck, try one of the reg plate companies.

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Sat May 07, 2022 10:39 am

A lot of classic car auctions include them in their sales Anglia for one, perhaps worth looking at as you can protect it with a reserve.

jamesSWFT
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by jamesSWFT » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:11 am

Good Morning,

I have just been made aware of this post,

Ive just looked at this one and the customer posted us the cert on the 18th we then received and sent it straight to DVLA on the 21/4 we received it back on the 9th and payment was issues on the 9th into the customer bank account We do not hold the seller payments back we issue them on the same day as receiving the certificate back from DVLA this is normally around 2 weeks and this is the timescale that happened from sending it up to paying the seller.

the reason it is done this one way is to protect both buyer and seller, We receive the money from the buyer before we request the documents from the seller we do not pay the seller until the documents have come back from DVLA because in between us sending it up they may have a picture of it and assign it to a car or order a duplicate, therefore making the certificate void, We would then have to refund the buyer and have try and re claim the money back from the seller unless we take to court this is hard to do.

We do not charge the seller anything to post with us to sell the registration and we support anyone wishing to sell there plates,

if anyone wishing to sell please follow this link and if you need to understand anything feel free to contact me.

https://www.swiftreg.co.uk/sell or ring me on 01732 280212

Kind regards
James @ swiftreg

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:34 pm

I can confirm that I received payment on 9th May, as stated above. I should have added a post shortly after, but I am afraid that we were very busy with looking after David (Father-in-Law), who was coming out of hospital (again!) at that time.

I would have no hesitation in using Swiftreg again, if I had another private plate to sell.
John E