MGF: size will matter

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

oldbritt
MGF Register Region: Europe

MGF: size will matter

Post by oldbritt » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:55 am

Hi,

After registering recently, my first 2 questions:

what maximal bodysize can a MGF driver have for being able to drive the car?
Interested in situations with hardtop, fabric hood as well as in the open car.
I am 77.2", this could be critical.
Leg length will be an issue too.
Sad enough I did not find a dimensional sketch, as I often did see in older car tests, for the MGF.
Maybe some here have encountered the same questions and found info on the theme.

The second one: as I would do the work myself, what are good repair manuals for this car?
Searching at their site, Haynes seems not to do the MGF.
Are there online manuals available for this car?

Thank you,
oldbritt

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: MGF: size will matter

Post by Chris Tideswell » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:29 am

Welcome
The F/TF is one of those cars that you need to sit in before you can work out if you will be comfortable driving one. For example, this week on another forum someone was complaining that their feet were getting stuck under the dashboard, however no one else even with bigger feet seem to have a problem.
There is no Haynes manual (but no great loss in my opinion), however the paper and electronic PDF’s of the MG Rover workshop manual are available. Also on a number of forums there are some very good how to threads covering a number of repairs.

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm

I have always had a problem with the toe of my size 9 shoe (right shoe only) rubbing against the lower edge of the Lid assembly -Fascia Fusebox, on my 2002 TF. :
Size 9 Shoe problem
Size 9 Shoe problem
This interference between toe and trim panel actually interfered with moving my foot from accelerator to brake on a few occasions, so I had to find a solution. The toe of my right shoe was being scratched/scuffed by the sharp edges of the pressed-steel lower edge of this trim panel:
Standard panel showing reinforcement with sharp edges
Standard panel showing reinforcement with sharp edges
Several people responded by saying that they had experienced the same problem, and many others said they were taller than me and/or had larger feet and had never had a problem. Also worth saying that my initial posting on A.N. Other Forum was entitled: Size 9 Shoes not compatible with standard TF Trim "Lid assembly - Fascia Fusebox" + a solution
I had previously "solved" this problem by simply removing this lid assembly and stowing away somewhere safe. This was after I stopped driving the car with the lid still in place, but with no right shoe. Stepping-out of the car onto wet or muddy surfaces persuaded me that shoe-less driving was NOT a long-term solution!
So I experimented with hardboard, drills and matt-black paper, to produce this prototype:
Prototype Panel
Prototype Panel
By no means perfect, but it DOES allow safe driving:

The F has a very similar problem for tall (I am only 6') or larger-feet drivers, but were fitted with seats which placed the driver higher than on the TF. Most F's have been either fitted with second-hand TF seats, or had a set of seat-lowering springs fitted, so you should search for an F which has been modded in one of those two ways, if room under raised hood and under the hardtop is a concern to you. I suggest you find some one on this forum with an F who would almost certainly let you sit in there's and ride as a passenger at least, to give you first-hand experience of any headroom/footroom problems. Where are you based?

oldbritt

Post by oldbritt » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:12 pm

EllsoJo wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm
......... Where are you based?
I am around 660 miles away from you, so I can expect you will understand, I cannot come over to see if I will fit into your MGF.. :(
I am not an optimistic character, but I hoped some 'Long John' specimen from the forum-crowd would disclose their body length combined with a statement as 'I snugly fit into the car as a sardine in its tin'...., and then hoping they would be taller as I happen to be.

oldbritt

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:25 pm

Yes, I gathered that you were "somewhere in Europe" (all very mysterious), so seeing mine, (which is a TF anyway) not practical, but there ARE many members in France, Belgium and at least one in Luxembourg, so hopefully, eventually someone closer to you will respond. Have you tried looking-up who runs your nearest part of the F register? they will be arranging occasional get-togethers, and I am sure you would be made welcome and helped, whatever vehicle you turn-up in!

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 pm

If you let us know where you are in Europe we will be able to put you in touch with your local MG Car Club. There will be members with MGF/TFs who I'm certain will let you sit in their cars to "try it for size".
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:44 pm

I'm 6'2" with size 10 feet and don't find any major problems with my F, apart from the fact that my knees have to sit either side of the wheel because it's not adjustable. I'm in the south of France if that's anywhere near where you are.