Does anyone know many MGF's and MG TF's still exist?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

toobigforanmgf
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by toobigforanmgf » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:46 pm

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Re: Does anyone know many MGF's and MG TF's still exist?

Post by mgb281 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:03 pm

at the end of June the DVLA declared;
3100 MGF's taxed and 5100 SORN
5500 MGTF's taxed and 4100 SORN
The numbers vary with the seasons, the figures quoted for taxed cars will drop by circa 600 MGF's and 1000 TF's in midwinter and the number of those SORN will increase at the same time. Obviously the number of taxed cars continues to decline but the rate is slowing down.
Interestingly forty two years after production ceased there are 10581 MGB GT's and 14032 MG Roadsters taxed and the numbers are slowly increasing.

Tomcatciller
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: Mk1 MPI /Mk2 Trophy

Post by Tomcatciller » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Ok, interessting to hear the numbers in the Uk!

Just if someone is interessted; In the German MGF Forum there is a Thread for this Topic too. For every past year the number from KBA (Geman DVLA I guess) are published and discussed.

The car types are defined by Type Codes there, so its not 100% possible to define which is TF and which is F. But in general there are 2/3 Fs and just 1/3 TF left (as a guess)

2018 5610x
2019 5378x
2020 5288x
2021 5202x

And again like in the UK the numbers are not accurate because these are only the registered cars on the road.

Another interessting link for how many are produced or which are left are the MGF Register Holland Website. There you find MGF/TF drivers who register their cars. You can also find Production numbers by model, colour and so on...

Greetings from Germany

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:07 pm

This is a subject close to my heart as I have an early TF, vin ends 260 (51 plate manf 08/01/02 reg 06/02/02) and wondered how many of the early cars are left, ie is mine the 3rd, 20th oldest still going? Sadly the "How Many Left" site info is not that good and can only be used as a rough guide, I don't blame the site as I once found an obscure corner on the DVLA site that had raw data you could download. This data itself is rubbish as it appears you can register a car (1st reg) under any name or model you like, some are just registered as MG (no model). No doubt with a huge hard drive and a super-duper chip I would find Snotgoblin GT's and a few FU2's, before anyone asks the data is only about the vehicles no vins or owner's details.
By trawling various sites I have discovered 2 pre-production cars? (Dec 01) both used as press cars and 1 local (7m) to me for sale which is 15m older than mine. If you own sub 400 vin TF and don't mind sharing some details my spreadsheet is currently under very populated, my email is deepfat@aol.com

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:24 pm

There are over 100 Fs/TFs in Canada and the US.
Mark

seasider
Model of Car: MGF

Post by seasider » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:00 pm

With the economic crisis in full swing I imagine the numbers left (F&TF) will decrease further, which is a shame. It makes it all the more important to cherish the ones that are left. I like to use mine all year round, which is the best way to keep these cars fit and healthy. There is a lot of expensive metal on the roads these days (for now at least) much with associated high running cost; making the bang for the buck pretty good with our cars.

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:35 pm

Current cars that are already restored or at least in good working order are generally with enthusiasts. Normal run-of-the-mill Fs and TF have probably all met their maker by now, due to the vagaries of the British climate, and a lack of maintenance which rendered them MOT failures and uneconomic to repair. Good ones will pop up from time to time but will have generally been hidden away.

I for one will not take my car out if there is road salt about. I don't mind getting it wet, if I have to but it is generally a dry use car. That's why it's nice and clean especially underneath despite its +25 year age. The climate here in southern France helps.

Use it, of course, but be sensible about it. Good, sound and original cars will be making money.

seasider

Post by seasider » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:31 pm

To clarify, mine (I've had 3, a VVC and 2 mpi) have all been (mainly) dry use cars, kept away from salted roads but enjoyed throughout the year. The south coast (where I live) can't compete with the climate of the south of France, but fortunately we don't suffer from salted roads too often, hence my mk2 mgf gets plenty of regular exercise!
Last edited by seasider on Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:47 pm

Oh they do, but not as often. It can be a lot colder here in the winter than in the UK due to the clear nights.

seasider

Post by seasider » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:56 pm

Reckless Rat: I edited my post after your reply. I'm not the quickest on the keyboard!
Thanks for clarifying, I now see you too need to be cautious in the winter months.