Wheel Nuts

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

wortski_16
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 03 MG TF

Wheel Nuts

Post by wortski_16 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:17 pm

Looking for a bit of advice and what others have ever done.

One of the wheel nuts is had enough of life so I figured I'd replace it before I find I can't get the bloody thing off. As I was ordering some bits and piece from eliseparts came across their lightweight alu set. Double checked all the dimensions M12 1.5 pitch 60 Degree taper etc etc. Thought why not and ordered a set.

I've compared them but as they look thinner I'm not convinced. The seat is clearly different but wondering what others have found if there are other being as silly as me.

On the plus side they are much much lighter haha :lol:

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Wheel Nuts

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:07 pm

I bought a set of stainless/chrome wheel nuts to replace the originals. Same spanner size, taper & thread, from one of those traders on the Bay of E. No problems to report. Not sure I'd trust an ally nut, far to easy to strip the thread.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:08 pm

Do not use them if the seat is different, the last thing you want is to loose your nuts.....
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:17 am

I have also found a few wheel nuts have seen better days.

I bought replacements from Rimmers.

Expensive? well not cheap. It's a safety item.

When I'm arriving at Turn 1 at Sydney Motorsport Park, dabbing the brakes and turning in
and going through the corner at 101 mph I do NOT want a loose wheel nut.

Seriously though, for all of us is it worth the few bucks saved to risk losing wheel nuts?
( or is that loosing ? :lol: )

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:30 am

I would only use the Original MG wheel nuts as they have the centralising collar to align the clamping load using the lubricant and correct torque loading

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:08 pm

There is no need to buy expensive OEM wheel nuts unless you want the stainless steel caps. BIMECC (Italian wheel nut manufacturer) make all varieties (black, zinc plated and stainless) nuts in taper, parallel and wobble varieties. Wobble nuts have one benefit, apart from the fact that tapered seat remains stationary on the wheel, they also correct any mis aligned studs. I found a set of twenty chrome plated high tensile wobble nuts for just £13.99 on ebay.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:10 pm

I believe that the wheel nuts on our cars has the same seat angle and thread as those used on Fords, so aftermarket solid items are readily available on the bay of fleas and elsewhere :)

If you're flash and rich enough, it ought to be possible to get them in titanium too if you're chasing the weight :lol:

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:57 am

Rob Bell wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:10 pm
I believe that the wheel nuts on our cars has the same seat angle and thread as those used on Fords, so aftermarket solid items are readily available on the bay of fleas and elsewhere :)

If you're flash and rich enough, it ought to be possible to get them in titanium too if you're chasing the weight :lol:
True that "angle and thread as those used on Fords". Unfortunately, according to Roger Parker SOME Ford nuts (perhaps all?) have less depth than the MGF/TF nuts. Then what tends to happen when Ford blind nuts are used on our cars is that the Ford nut bottoms-out on the bottom of the nut thread, splitting the blind nut end off, and/or NOT fully clamping the wheel.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 23, 2023 5:26 pm

I bought a set off eBay for a ZR105 recently - no problem with the thread depth on those, but I've not tried them on an MGF/TF.

Try bay of fleas - "alloy wheel nuts (16) 12x1.5 bolts tapered for MG TF 02-11" from WheelPartsDirect - which are the supplier I used.

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Tue May 23, 2023 6:35 pm

Here we go again, were they alloy nuts for wheels or steel nuts for alloy wheels, I've been looking on the bay and it said "alloy wheel nuts" as has been mentioned earlier I would not trust alloy nuts so I asked and theirs were steel nuts for alloy wheels. They did however fail on my second question wobble, salted or dry roasted :lol:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed May 24, 2023 4:23 pm

I think they're chrome plated steel - I'll go out with a magnet one evening to confirm (and do remind me if I have forgotten to post this answer!)