Original MGF Luggage Carrier

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Original MGF Luggage Carrier

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:22 pm

Buy a set of fitted luggage from Bags World ~ no worries if they fit as they are made to measure.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Andy Raggett
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by Andy Raggett » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:20 pm

Thank you everybody for your input, but having given it some extra thought, I’m going hold off from buying a rack for now, as I suspect a couple of holdalls in the boot will carry enough kit for what we need, making the rack redundant before I’ve even purchase it.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:48 am

It's amazing how much you can actually get in the boot. When we did Italy there were two pull alongs, a holdall, coats and other stuff and there was still room. Don't forget that there is "some" space under the bonnet, and if your passenger or yourself are not too tall you can get small items behind the' seats and in the front n/s footwell. Just don't count on the rear parcel shelf if you're going roof-down.

There are a couple of reasons I don't use a rack. One is aerodynamic and the other is security. Better locked in the boot and out of sight.

I have made a shallow box to fit in the boot central well, so the floor is level all the way across. It holds a first aid kit and a few tools.

Don't forget that both seats have map pockets on the back.

Andy Raggett
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by Andy Raggett » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:07 pm

Reckless Rat wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:48 am
It's amazing how much you can actually get in the boot. When we did Italy there were two pull alongs, a holdall, coats and other stuff and there was still room. Don't forget that there is "some" space under the bonnet, and if your passenger or yourself are not too tall you can get small items behind the' seats and in the front n/s footwell. Just don't count on the rear parcel shelf if you're going roof-down.

There are a couple of reasons I don't use a rack. One is aerodynamic and the other is security. Better locked in the boot and out of sight.

I have made a shallow box to fit in the boot central well, so the floor is level all the way across. It holds a first aid kit and a few tools.

Don't forget that both seats have map pockets on the back.
All good points you have there, I didn’t realise the seats had map pockets, I must pay more attention :D

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:23 pm

Hi. They do unless they came out after project drive which was a cost saving idea from MG. Amongst other cuts they removed one of the horns. Ash

Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 23, 2023 5:43 pm

Only the earlier Fs have map pockets - they were deleted by the time the TF came out (I have TF half Alcantara seats in my F, so ask me how I know!)

I used to use the boot rack quite a lot, but that said, I managed to go on a camping holiday across Europe with my wife-to-be in the late nineties - with the boot rack fitted, but unused until popping into Epernay on the way home to stock up on bubbly supplies.

So that was a tent, airbeds, sleeping bags, pillows etc for two, without overflowing the boot and the space behind the seats. These cars are amazingly capacious! :D

PS only one spare wheel fits safely on the boot rack - which is a annoying if going on a track day, knowing that you're going to toast the current tyres, but I did get the other three wheels into the cabin on the passenger side :lol: