ULW wheels on

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

ULW wheels on

Post by mgb281 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:31 pm

Just seen these on eBay;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256038637754 ... media=COPY
No affiliation

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: ULW wheels on

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm

What makes them ULW ???
More than 1/2 average car value.

Tomcatciller
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: Mk1 MPI /Mk2 Trophy

Post by Tomcatciller » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:35 pm

Well, I would like to buy them. But no shipment to Germany available. :-(

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:04 pm

Geoff.F wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:29 pm
What makes them ULW ???
More than 1/2 average car value.
They are almost certainly a quality casting and heat treated, possibly forged. They are not particularly light it's just the standard wheels are unusually heavy. Mazda always fitted light wheels to the MX5, some of their 16x61/2 wheels are within a half kilo of the ULW's. Light wheels can improve ride and handling and on a race car will improve lap times due to quicker acceleration and faster braking.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:07 pm

Those went for strong money didn't they? I paid a fraction of that for mine - must be one of those rare occasions where I actually managed to bag a bit of a bargain.

ULWs are not forged. They are an aluminium alloy (not sure which), but they are thin and relatively fragile (easy to make into an octagon on UK pot-holed roads!)

They're value is in their rarity: almost no-one bought them new as they were a £1,500 option, so it is amazing that these went for over 2/3rds that original value - but they do look to be in excellent original condition, so I think the new owner got value for money :)

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Tue May 02, 2023 8:08 pm

I didn't follow the auction so had no idea what they made. £1500 was a silly price, especially since it was an extra £1500. For that money you could have had a set of Pro Race 1.2's and almost a life time's supply of tyres. A while ago on one of the forums there was a guy who worked for the English company that made MG Rover alloy wheels, he was very critical that they changed to a Polish or maybe Czech supplier that made them (not ULW) for £17.50 each

Tomcatciller

Post by Tomcatciller » Fri May 05, 2023 4:12 pm

Hello

Just want to mention. I almost got them. So have 7x ULWs soon. Deal is not settled yet.

Difficult to get them to Germany, but I use my company Business DHL Express account for pick up the wheels in UK and deliver them to Germany.

But thank you very very much for the Tip. Without this Thread I wouldn´t make it. :thumbsu:

Edit: Deal is settled now! I paid them and now will take care about the shipment to Germany! Very very< happy! :D

Greetings from Germany.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Tue May 09, 2023 10:48 am

glad to hear that it worked out for you with the wheels :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Tomcatciller

Post by Tomcatciller » Fri May 12, 2023 2:21 pm

The deal exploded in the very last minutes because of idiot DHL.

I ordered a pick up over my company DHL Express account between 10 to 12 am. The seller waited until 14 and left. I am very sorry for the seller to ruin his Day.

My bad luck is your chance. Watch Chris.4 at Ebay, maybee he will put them on Ebay again. But be sure he will never agree for any shipment.

I am out of the ULW topic. What a **** day!
Last edited by Tomcatciller on Sat May 13, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Fri May 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Tomcatciller wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:21 pm

I ordered a pick up over my company DHL Express account between 10 to 12 am. The seller waited until 14 and left. I am very sorry for the seller to ruin his day. Hope I will get my £1065 back.

My bad luck is your chance. Watch Chris.4 at Ebay, maybee he will put them on Ebay again. But be sure he will never agree for any shipment.

I have sent about forty MGB overdrive gearboxes to the USA, more than thirty have been with DHL. They have only let me down once, that was when the regular driver had a day off and the relief didn't arrive, they normally take three days to get there, sometimes just two days door to door. Having said that my experiences with goods coming from Germany or via Germany is not that great, more than two weeks for a CWP from Bastuck and three months for a shipment from Speedway Motors in the USA which went via Dusseldorf.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 23, 2023 4:29 pm

Tomcatciller wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:21 pm

I ordered a pick up over my company DHL Express account between 10 to 12 am. The seller waited until 14 and left. I am very sorry for the seller to ruin his Day.

Oh no!!! What a nightmare - you were so close to getting these too. Absolute nightmare...

Hopefully your luck will change soon!

Tomcatciller

Post by Tomcatciller » Sat May 27, 2023 5:37 pm

So, last week the rims arrived in Germany. The seller was very kind and allowed a second try. This time the wheels were picked up at his work.
Thank you for the tip mgb281 , otherwise it wouldn´t get them.

Weight is 6,1 kg for a pure ULW rim and 13 to 15 kg for a complete wheel (depending on tire dimension and brand)

I have also weighed my Abingdon 215/40 R16 with 215/40 Hankook Tires and they are 15,3 kg. So for everyone who dont want to spend rediculous amouts of money for ULWs the Abingdon are the better option. There was a reason why this rims were used in the MGF CUP.

Greetings from Germany

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:00 am

Yes - the ULW weigh in at 6kg per rim (give or take), whereas the Abingdon style wheel weighs in at a kilo more - but this is still the lightest wheel for the MGF/TF bar the ULW - and the reason why they're on my race car. :D

More on wheels and their weights here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspen ... he_mgf.htm

I do have a repaired set of ULW for Project Shed - that's a job for another day and when I need to replace the existing tyres :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:01 am

Really pleased you got a set of wheels in the end - it's been a real trial of your patience getting these! :thumbsup: