TF Sidelight cover (for nerds)

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

TF Sidelight cover (for nerds)

Post by Deepfat » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:24 pm

Hello fellow nerds have you ever wondered why your sidelight cover (4 screw) has a bit of moulding on it that appears to do nothing, my early TF has 2 different sidelight covers 1 x 3 screw and 1 x 4 screw, I suspect the 3 screw is OE and the 4 a later replacement. Looking at the picture below you can see on the 3 screw the circled moulding lines up with the headlight moulding, nice touch. It seems that when they went to 4 screw somebody thought "well I don't know what it does so I'll just move it out of the way"
odd lights.jpg

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: TF Sidelight cover (for nerds)

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:20 pm

Not wishing to appear nurdy, I rushed outside to look at my covers :roll:
Last edited by mgtfnut on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:22 pm

Not wishing to appear nurdy, I rushed outside to look at my covers :roll:
I also have an early 02 TF, and both my covers have 4 black passivated screws with the little moulding not lining up. I have a rubbish set of Chinese lights which are the same.

I think the onus is on you now to find out what happened - you could be the one to find one of the many strange unanswered facts about the TF. Your car could be very special :oops:

Very strange, if they had to modify to make 4 lugs, why not remove the little bit of moulding - presumably it was cheaper. A bit like the subframes still have echos of redundant Metro bits still welded on. Even stranger, they moved the moulding further round to make space for the extra lug rather than remove it.

Looking forward to the next chapter on your investigation!
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Deepfat

Post by Deepfat » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:19 am

My cars vin ends 260 which makes it the 106th production car and trying to find other cars around this time is proving elusive, I know from the register that there is 1 older on here but data protection blah blah. If anyone has a car built early Jan 02 or even pre production contact me and we could put our "Heads" together to try and see what happened. Like you the orphan moulding intrigues me, I suspect as often happens someone is given a task that they believe is well below their station and pass it on to an underling with no precise instruction, said underling is too scared to question God and muddles through.
Another problem I may have is early TF's have a slightly different wiring circuit, what's different I've no idea (Nerd alert) this only came to light when reading the Tech Bulletins on RAVE. TOB0103 says RAVE only has current (2003) wiring diagrams and RDC002 should be used for earlier models, I presume this is a disc that predates RAVE but googling only gave me a heavy metal band, has anyone got a copy? (not the band). The only thing I know so far is my cigar lighter is ignition controlled not permanently live, which maybe a pointer for others with early cars to be wary of RAVE circuit diagrams.

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:55 pm

Wow, that is early, mine is 03/2002 ----3048, so some way down the line.
My lighter socket is ignition fed as well, and I can remember some wiring variations at the time - I might have to investigate my pile of junk (vital historical information).
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Deepfat

Post by Deepfat » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:37 am

Jerry if you find a copy of RDC002 in your archived material please let me know

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:15 pm

I believe that the early TF will share the wiring architecture with the late Mk2 (MY2000) MGF, with Lucas based electrics (Lucas BCU and 5AS SCU).

Don't get me started on the number of variations of the engine loom found on the later cars - only ever really a problem if you are building an engine and loom from second hand parts! :lol:

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Roverlike » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:03 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:15 pm
I believe that the early TF will share the wiring architecture with the late Mk2 (MY2000) MGF, with Lucas based electrics (Lucas BCU and 5AS SCU).
MG TF MK1 share some similarities in wiring architecture with MG F MK2 but they are not the same.