Final score: MGF 3 : 2 MX-5

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

seasider
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF

Final score: MGF 3 : 2 MX-5

Post by seasider » Fri May 12, 2023 8:35 am

As a kid I was not particularly interested in prestigious, expensive sports cars (that I assumed I would never be able to afford anyway) but hankered after midgets, spitfires, GT6, TRs etc. As a young man in my 20s I got myself a 1275cc RWA MG Midget and loved it. Although newish when I bought it the build quality was iffy and rust soon appeared in various places. I traded it for a 1500cc Spitfire. More stable and with and o/d gearbox it was the better car, but not more fun. Overall I rank them about equal. Marriage and family came along and sports cars were not on the agenda for many years. Eventually though I was able to run a family car and a sports car, my choice was an MGF 1.8 VVC. It was a nice car and ticked all the boxes. I had a lot of fun in it, but lost interest in sports cars when my father died, so let it go. Wish I hadn’t. A few later I bought another MGF this time the standard non VVC. The fact that this version produces its maximum torque at lower revs than the VVC suited me better and I preferred it. Unfortunately it proved problematic so it was sold. It was time I felt to try the much vaunted mx-5. I bought a well used mk2 (but still in good condition) and was very impressed with the handling and gear change. I also liked the simplicity of the cockpit layout. It suffered the usual rust issues and general aged related niggles so it was time to move on. Looking back it lacked a bit of character, but I can see why people go for them. My interest in budget sports cars had not diminished so I took the plunge and bought a brand new mx-5, known as the ND in the community. My first ever brand new car. I liked the idea of ‘trouble free’ motoring. It did what it said on the tin, handling was superb and it just felt right. A very enjoyable car and a credit to Mazda. However, its slightly quirky looks gradually made me hanker after a sports car with more classic, traditional lines. It was back to another MGF, this time my third, which I still have. Each to his own, but for me the overall experience of owning an MGF has been more fun than the mx-5s. The ride quality is remarkable for a sports car and the handling sharp. It’s not perfect but is an awful lot of fun, which for a budget sports car is number 1 in my book.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Final score: MGF 3 : 2 MX-5

Post by nigelandjo » Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 pm

:thumbsu:
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Final score: MGF 3 : 2 MX-5

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 23, 2023 5:32 pm

Thanks for posting - a really interesting read for someone like me who bought their MGF 27 years ago and never got around to trading it in (the plan had been to buy a Lotus Elise!) and then got another MGF to go racing in!

I am not going to bash a car that I have no experience with, but I am sure you're 100% correct - it will be all a question of preference where it comes to choosing an MG or a Mazda. Shame that this choice no longer exists. The early 90s was a second golden era of open top sports cars: MGF, Fiat Barchetta, Mazda MX-5, BMW Z3. Happy times! Now it's either an MX-5 or a Fiat MX-5 (or what ever they're called) - sadly, there's nothing else in this segment currently. :(