NC500

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Gman1
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF

NC500

Post by Gman1 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 pm

Well my wife and I completed the circuit which was a total of 1125 miles over 9 days. The TF didn't miss a beat and performed well in all types of weather we experienced on the trip. Surprisingly decent boot so were able to pack in 2 x cabin type bags, 2 x decent sized day sacks and a king size duvet which was bungeed down to compress the size. Not gonna lie it was a bit of a bone shaker on occasion on pot-holed single laned roads, but having the top down driving through stunning landscape in the sunshine made up for any discomfort :thumbsu:

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Re: NC500

Post by ashleyfrazer » Tue May 23, 2023 8:31 pm

Hi
Did the distance include getting to the route or did you divert off? I assumed it was 500 miles all the way around.

Planning to do the 500 next summer. Might try and leave the luggage rack at home. I assume you had to do some reversing.

Which way did to go round?

Ash

Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk

Gman1
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Gman1 » Tue May 23, 2023 10:49 pm

Hi Ash - sorry a bit confusing as that included the journey to Inverness from the Borders. We also did a few minor detours to take in Plockton and The Black Isle. We went clockwise and my hunch was we were going against the traffic. Did think of a rack but decided to try and stash it all in the rear and front which came in handy to store a few local bottles of gin :D . As you've probably read already, avoid holiday season and mid - May tends to be decent weather in Scotland and only had the equivalent of one day of washout but it did tip it down so proof your hood well beforehand! Did ponder keeping the hardtop on but glad we didn't. Also book accommodation well in advance as taking pot luck with BnB, hotels etc is high risk. Also due to the nature of the roads, a journey that in theory would take 30 mins can easily be double the time :( Hope this helps 👍

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:14 pm

Hi. Thanks for the advice. We are tied to July if we go this year. So it might have to wait.

Good tip on the hood. I have been looking at replacement due to gap at B pillar and its 25 years old.

Ash

Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk