Car Valuation

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Doccombe
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Car Valuation

Post by Doccombe » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:34 pm

Hi All,

I have owned my MGF 1.8VVC for 3 years now and think it is time to move it on to someone that can enjoy it more than what I can. Due to changes in circumstances the usage will be less than it has in the past.

How do you about getting a reasonably accurate value to sell it for? When looking around there seems to be such a wide variety of prices.

Also where do people see the best place to advertise?

Many Thanks in advanced.

Will be sorry to see it go but, would prefer it to go to someone that will drive and enjoy it more than what I will be able to do.

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Re: Car Valuation

Post by EllsoJo » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:55 am

If you are a member of MGCC or MGOC,I think they do valuations and will advertise your car in their magazine. Value is all about condition, so the more photos and description of work done, service history, number of owners, mileage etc. you can provide, the more accurate the valuation. I think Classic Car Weekly do a "Value your Car" service, and I think car adverts in their rag are cheap/free????

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:59 pm

It is worth spending half an hour looking on Ebay and other sites to get an idea of the range of prices.

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:57 am

It’s very difficult to value a car, due to it being down to the time of the year and supply and demand, at the present time there seems to be little demand. Two weeks ago I bought a TF with 80,000 miles exceptionally clean interior, and a virtually new TT exhaust and had been waxoiled so the underside and subframes are excellent for £467.
Yesterday another one sold for £510 with a red and black leather interior, a hardtop and new tyres, MOT. The seller was including a new exhaust and a new window for the soft top.
Both cars had the updated head gasket and mine the oil rail as well.
However both cars suffered from very poor descriptions, although “mine” did have excellent photos.
In my opinion EBay is a good source of what cars are selling for, there are currently 98 TF’s for sale of which 38 have been on there for three months or more and 18 for six months or more, which is a good indication that they are overpriced.
I suggest that you look on EBay for cars similar in age, mileage and condition to yours and see how much they are making.
Having said that a member of this forum was trying to sell his quite rusty TF on EBay without success, I suggested that he put it on Auto Trader and it sold within hours at a higher price than he tried on EBay.

Notanumber

Post by Notanumber » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:35 pm

Values do seem to have fallen through the floor again at present. The cost of living crisis is having an effect plus its the end of the summer now.

Top end examples such as a cossetted, low mileage, single owner MGF Trophy etc are still changing hands at proper classic car prices to those who have the money but unfortunately the average, good condition Fs and TFs are now changing hands for less than before and are proving harder to sell.

Many of the people who previously would have happily spent £ 1k to £ 3k on a competent F or TF as an affordable classic are now thinking twice as they dont have the spare cash to run a hobby car. That will naturally change again when inflation bottoms out and salaries rise. Unless you really have to sell here and now my advice is to ride the storm, throw a cover over it and try at the start of next summer.

Notanumber

Post by Notanumber » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:55 pm

I have just sold my 2002 115 for £ 1,375 . Ive suggested the new owner join the forum