MGTF rear window

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

VinceG
MGF Register Region: South Coast

MGTF rear window

Post by VinceG » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:44 pm

I have a 2005 TF spark. It has a plastic rear window, but I am thinking of getting a new hood with glass rear screen. There is already a switch on the dash for the heater, does that mean it's already wired for one?
Also, according to TF history, all models for 2005 should have a glass rear screen as standard, is that right?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: MGTF rear window

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:21 pm

Although your car may be registered in an 05 plate, it would have been an 04 Model Year (MY) car. It was the 05 MY cars which had a glass screen, they were built from late 2004.

If it has a switch then you should be good to go. All cars had the wiring, but not the switch and relay.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: MGTF rear window

Post by Notanumber » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:29 pm

I changed to a hood with a glass rear screen recently. I had to change the hood in any event as it was the worse for wear and 'Bitz had a good 2nd hand hood with a glass screen for a bit over £ 200 complete with frame and catches so it was a no brainer. Changing the hood this way takes half an hour as there are only 4 bolts.
The glass screen has a slightly smaller visible area than the plastic one but gives the benefit of a heated rear window. That is a definite advantage this time of year, before I'd have had to wipe both sides of the plastic screen.