Engine Harness

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Engine Harness

Post by beefio » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:34 pm

I’ve been offered an engine harness, product code YSB113930, for £200.

Apparently these a hard to find and I can’t see any for sale anywhere.

How like is a harness to fail, should I buy it for safe keeping?

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: Engine Harness

Post by Notanumber » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:19 am

They aren't that hard to find it seems as 'Bitz has some engine looms for between £ 35 and £ 50 on their site.

I guess it could be a precautionary buy but probably in the same way as buying a complete set of fuel injectors, coolant hoses or window glasses - potentially worthwhile if they come up for sale cheaply and you have the space to store them. Engine bay looms dont go wrong that often. It's not a fault that pops up with any frequency on the forums as a quick use of the search feature will reveal. The most engine bay wiring faults i have read about recently have been instances where an unclipped cable has rubbed against a metal edge over time causing a short. Definitely something to check for next time the engine cover is off, check the underside of any cables and parts of the loom that are in contact with any metal edge.

beefio

Post by beefio » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:01 am

I hear you, thanks.

But apparently it need to be the specific harness for the model of car and a 2001 VVC is YSB113930. I couldn’t find any for sale and it took the previous owner 4 years to find the correct harness which made me think it might be worth buying it to be on the safe side but £200 is quite a bit and as you say they don’t go wrong that often…

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:34 pm

I don't think I would bother given that unless it is a total loss the loom could be repaired if needed.

beefio

Post by beefio » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:59 pm

Thanks for the input. Think I’ll invest the £200 in something with more immediate ROI!

Cheers

Stuart