Imported a classic car

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

michellerich
MGF Register Region: North West

Imported a classic car

Post by michellerich » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:45 am

Hello, I recently settled on the east coast with a new garage ready to house my '59 Gazelle convertible and another classic car. I'm looking to import an early left-hand drive MGF as the US allows 25-year-old car imports regardless of original standards. Has anyone here imported a classic car or knows dealers specializing in this? I missed a 1995 MGF in Toronto, converted from right to left-hand drive, due to less strict Canadian import rules for 15-year-old cars. Appreciate any advice or insights!

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: Imported a classic car

Post by Notanumber » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:53 pm

A very nice car the Singer Gazelle convertible. I had a 1962 Sunbeam Rapier which was basically a badge engineered variant of the Gazelle, sharing the basic structure and running gear with marginally different styling. Wished I had kept it.

I guess theres nothing stopping you buying an MGF in the UK and shipping it over as there are plenty here to choose from but as you have said you would prefer a left hand drive car it might be worth you putting a shout out on this and the other MGF/ TF forums for any English speaking members in continental Europe to keep an eye open in their locality for a good left hand drive MGF

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

Plenty of MGFs for sale in France, both left hand & right hand drive. Be aware however that French second hand car prices can be much higher than in the UK, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Dependant on the department where the car is/has been used you may find one that is quite corrosion free, particularly in the south.

Have a look at the current availability here: https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?category=2&text=mgf

It will help if you are francophone.

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:50 pm

You might find this an interesting read;
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/modern-mg-f ... a.2266517/
This might also be of interest;
https://www.mgexp.com/forum/modern-mg-f ... c.4749440/
It was probably a year or so ago but I was looking on the German eBay site and there were a couple of TF’s for sale on there, they were both fitted with air con which is quite rare in U.K. sourced cars. It would be worthwhile looking to see if MGF’s appear there. Actual shipping is not expensive and according to the first article relatively simple if you follow the rules exactly.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:56 pm

There are a few LHD Fs for sale in the US and Canada presently. Where are you located?
Mark