Goldenwheels is now for sale

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

himself
MGF Register Region: Europe

Goldenwheels is now for sale

Post by himself » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 am

Those of you that have been about this Forum for a few years will know this car well. It has to be one of the best known and most recognisable MGFs in the world and possibly among the quickest road going ones. Have a look at this web page for more information and pictures ( http://www.csmgf.co.uk/gw/gw.htm )and anyone that's interested can contact me at 'goldenwheels at mac dot com'

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Re: Goldenwheels is now for sale

Post by ErikB » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:26 pm

I didn't reply instantly, as it's a shock and it's only now that I am starting to realise the impact of Gerry's decission. I remember the occassions when we met and the test drive with GoldenWheels last summer (MGFest08). I expected to be overwhelmed by the raw power and to feel the adrenaline rushing through the vains, caused by an insane car. The result of the quick tour was even bigger, but so more different than I expected. I told Gerry before, I was impressed by the performance of the car as a unit. Engine, gearbox, handling, steering, brakes, … all felt so right and acted as a complete car. This is how a new F/TF could (or should) come from the assembling line.

GoldenWheels sits very high in my personal ranking of most valuable F/TFs ever.... and I have been around the F/TF scene for way too long. Please make sure the car gets sold to the right person…. As the car should be in a museum or at the Welcome Center in Longbridge. It has reached a certain state and deserves a safe future.

For those interested in the car, your buying more than a car .... This isn't just a modified car, or worse an F with a bodykit. This is a prototype, you're buying a man's idea and not less important, you are buying a piece of modern history. The car is well known in and out of the UK.

Goldenwheels .... the car has a greater value than just its wheels in gold.

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:06 pm

From what I read on .org, Goldenwheels has now been sold and if I understand the post correctly it is to be 'broken up'.

Goldenwheels seems like it will be split to further modify a 80th Anniversary Edition (1033 of 1600) which has already had a LE500 front added to it???

Every one is free to do their own thing with their car but why do people who want to modify cars not just use standard cars as the base car instead of changing what was a special car to start with and in the process killing such a well known car ? Or is that just me?
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Keith Williams wrote:
Every one is free to do their own thing with their car but why do people who want to modify cars not just use standard cars as the base car instead of changing what was a special car to start with and in the process killing such a well known car ? Or is that just me?
No Keith, it's not just you. I often wonder why people do it. Seems a shame to me. Once it's gone it's gone. :cry:
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

Paula
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 80th LE TF135

Post by Paula » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I was shocked to read that its being broken up too :(
MGTF 80th Anniversary Goodwood Green #1469

Paul
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: Mazda RX8

Post by Paul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:04 am

I'm with Keith Sparky and Paula - i voiced my objection and no body listned! Silly Chav's!!!! :lol:
Regional Rep - Thames Valley Roadsters - Now retired
Now - Mazda RX-8 231 & BMW 530i
Dark Knight - MGTF160 - Gone but never forgotten

Ally
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by Ally » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:10 am

Me too - I think it's a crying shame, and I told him so. I just don't understand how the whole history of this car can completely escape someone who only wants it so he can hack it up and transplant parts which he could surely have bought separately to play with in his current car. I wonder if Gerry is aware of his plans?

DJM
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by DJM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Did Gerry ever say why he was sellig? Or have I missed that somewhere.

Real shame that a well modified car and a well known one is to be hacked about and lost. It wasn't my choice for cosmetics, but it was different and worth keeping for teh historic perspective if nothing else. Shame.

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53 pm

DJM wrote:Did Gerry ever say why he was sellig? Or have I missed that somewhere.
It's not really for me to say this, but Gerry has been quite ill recently and he only got out of hospital last week and it will be a little while before he can drive again. I know that he's loved every minute of his MG days. Unfortunately, he just can't do the things that he used to so he's resigned himself to an easier lifestyle. As a consequence of this he has sold his MGB GT V8 Police Car and Goldenwheels.

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:46 am

I'm sorry to hear this about Gerry - please pass on my , and the Register's best wishes, and hope for a speedy recovery.

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

DJM

Post by DJM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:08 pm

TimM wrote:I'm sorry to hear this about Gerry - please pass on my , and the Register's best wishes, and hope for a speedy recovery.
Likewise from me.