The rust to riches story, chapter 1!!! (Project log)

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

redmist
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: '95 MGF 1.8i

The rust to riches story, chapter 1!!! (Project log)

Post by redmist » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Hello all!
First a big thanks to all those who answered my technical question last weekend, for those that don't know I went to view a '95 MGF up for sale from a colleague at the pricely sum of £100!! I took the advice and decided to bite the bullet and so here it is:

It became abundently clear during the 20 mile drive home that the right front wheel bearing was a gonner. Every left hander made the most painful grinding noise and I was nervous about making it home in one piece.

OUCH!

It was up on the stands minutes after being home! I started with gusto and was down to the hub within an hour but the last connection of the upper ball joint just would not budge after two nights of hammering and heating and a bust splitting tool. So out with the grinder to remove the joint and drill as much out as possible. Sadly that means an awful headache of trying to fit the new tapered joint in later.

So far the rust seems heavy in areas which worries me (especially on the dampers and hydragas chambers) but I haven't found perforation so far.

Items bought so far include a door handle in white to replace the one that was snapped and I just ordered a replacement hub with all the necessaries attached.
Once the wheels are back on the front it will be in for an MOT to find out any more nasties and then we'll decide if its worth going any further.

The engine and ride were so good on the drive home (Bearing aside!!!) I was very impressed, no HGF evidence yet!
At the back, a new window is required but thats a long way off yet.

So I'm trying my best to keep this one out of MGF heaven just yet so any advice or donations regards parts welcome!
I'll try to keep you all up to date on progress and I hope you enjoy!
"Wow is that a spray tan?"

"NO its just a fine layer of rust dust!"

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Re: The rust to riches story, chapter 1!!! (Project log)

Post by sparky135 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:02 pm

I hope this all works out for you and you get the car on the road with a minimum of hassle.

I'll be following this thread with interest.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsu:
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

Andythetyre
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Andythetyre » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 am

Seems like a bargain for 100quid!!!!

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:25 am

Good luck, apart from the abundance of rust underneath, from the picture the body looks nice and tidy !
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:03 pm

Body work looks sound, but crumbs - the suspension! Never seen bright oranage rust like that - almost as if someone's sprayed salt water on it and left it to dry!!!

Wheel bearing looks nice ;) Replacing the whole hub assembly is the most sensible precaution here. I might also be tempted to replace the upper arm too given the aggro of removing the upper ball joint (amazed it broke the splitter!) - unless you think that the taper has survived intact?

Great project - look forward to seeing how this car comes back to life! :thumbsu:

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Im annoyed..... that car is EXACTLY what I was after project wise! :shutup:

She looks sound on the face of things.... Only nasties that could bite you seem to be corrosion related (Brake lines, suspensioon, etc etc)

The best of luck sir.... :D
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

redmist

Post by redmist » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for the interest and yes there is plenty of the orange stuff!

I'd thought about replacing the top arm too, but I'm wary of the removal process as one side of the rod through its pivot point is well tucked in the subframe and all the spacers and washers I've seen on the assembly drawing might never get back on! I'll have a look at the fitment of the replacement joint before going down that route.

So I'm hoping for a replacement hub assembly to be here shortly and in the mean time I decided to strip the passenger side too so that I can remove as much flaking rust and then treat with some rust proof paint to try and stop further rot. Then I'll do the same on the drivers side.

The wire brush attachment in the drill makes fairly light work of the surface rust and looks much better even before the paint!!

SO in other news I removed the dampers too they look rather nasty so I'll research replacements, which on a side note, if you happen to have some discarded dampers after an upgrade of some sort, please drop me a line and we'll do a deal.

Then finally I'm gonna have to look into the brake lines, inbetween the rubber pipes is a connecting metal piece which mounts to the top arm and of course thats well corroded, so another MOT failure right there I'd imagine. Ah well, could it be that its a summer 2011 roll out?? Stay tuned!

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Body work looks sound, but crumbs - the suspension! Never seen bright oranage rust like that - almost as if someone's sprayed salt water on it and left it to dry!!!
:
The bodywork may look sound 'On Top' but the underside looks a rust bucket. As for 'someone has sprayed salt water on it', perhaps someone has parked it in salt water and forgotten it.
I would not do anything with it until it has been on a lift and the underside suspension, coolant, suspension, coolant and brake pipes. brakes, radiator, gear cables etc.etc inspected. Dependant on the cost of replacement parts, the rust needs to be neutralised which your pictures suggest will require removal of the subframes.
Geoff F.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:21 am

I'd be tempted to look at new adjustable gas dampers if you are doing a thorough job on the rest of the underside, they are not a great deal more than new OEM ones and I wouldn't want to risk second hand. I have had them on one of mine for years, which is quieter and calmer in spite of 80,000 more miles than t'other. This looks a really worthwhile project with your upper works appearing in such good condition. Keep it coming!

redmist

Post by redmist » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:22 pm

I would not do anything with it until it has been on a lift and the underside suspension, coolant, suspension, coolant and brake pipes. brakes, radiator, gear cables etc.etc inspected. Dependant on the cost of replacement parts, the rust needs to be neutralised which your pictures suggest will require removal of the subframes.
Geoff F
Your quite right geoff, hence why I've not even washed the car yet, I just want to get the front wheels back on and take if for the MOT. The rust removal is more cosmetic right now and simply cos:
1) I'm bored?
2) I like using power tools!!
3) Me like shiny things!!!

I'm thinking its necessary to drop the subframe to remove the top suspension arm thats been drilled, anybody got any info otherwise, any clever tips?

Regarding the brake pipes and coolant pipes I can't see any mojor issues at the front and middle of the car, we'll see what the rear is like when I can get it jacked up. Thats all for now, oh and COME ON ENGLAND!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 pm

4-1. Yeah, Come on England! Crumbs... :roll:

Back to the dampers - I am removing the dampers from Project Shed. I can't say what miles they've done, but apart from some dust and just a bit of corrosion, they appear in excellent order. I can send you all four for say 10 quid plus postage if you want them? Can take pictures if you want to see them... :)

redmist

Post by redmist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Sounds awesome rob, no need for pics! They'll be better than mine!! I'll contact you for details!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:30 pm

No problem. And yes, they're definitely better than yours! :lol: :lol: :lol:

redmist

Post by redmist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Nice one rob, a true gent.

Ordered the new balljoint for the wishbone today (I damaged the rubber on the old one whilst seperating it from the hub), with any luck I can have a test roll down the street by the weekend!!

redmist

Post by redmist » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Today was a great day!! The hub assembly arrived from the fleabay, so I had a known diameter with which to drill the top arm as there was still part of the original bolt stuck in it. However with my new 13mm bit i managed to release the rest of the joint and joy of joys the tapered piece fell out from the arm!!!

Next thing my neighbour shouts over the fence that a parcel arrived today, which turned out to be the ball joint I ordered yesterday lunch time!! Now thats speedy delivery!!

So after mounting all that, to get her back on the wheels I just need to put the brakes back on, double check all bolts are tight and then I'll have a road test around the block before reversing back down the drive so I can take a look at the rear underside.

Aslong as there is nothing major underthere I will book an MOT ASAP and then we'll see what the experts think!

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:21 am

As an aside, you can remove the top arm with the subframe in situ, you just have to loosen the crash can and slide it out of the way slightly to get into the retaining nut. The rears are much easier to change though, as there's a lot more room for access..

The rust looks bad, but I've seen a lot worse - that's classic "car has been standing for some time on grass or in a damp garage" rust. Bash around all of the important parts to see if they're solid, but it'll probably be much ado about nothing really - a good clean up, bilt-hamber deox treatment and repaint and it'll be fine. Removing subframes is a bit excessive unless you plan to make the car cosmetically perfect again.

I presume the two bolts holding the hydragas unit retaining plate in the third pic were removed by you?

redmist

Post by redmist » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 pm

bgunn wrote:As an aside, you can remove the top arm with the subframe in situ, you just have to loosen the crash can and slide it out of the way slightly to get into the retaining nut. The rears are much easier to change though, as there's a lot more room for access..

The rust looks bad, but I've seen a lot worse - that's classic "car has been standing for some time on grass or in a damp garage" rust. Bash around all of the important parts to see if they're solid, but it'll probably be much ado about nothing really - a good clean up, bilt-hamber deox treatment and repaint and it'll be fine. Removing subframes is a bit excessive unless you plan to make the car cosmetically perfect again.

I presume the two bolts holding the hydragas unit retaining plate in the third pic were removed by you?
Yes it was me, just being nosy!! I have checked all the rust at the front and everything is still very solid, simply surface rust. I've removed what I can get to and applied some paint.

Thanks for the tip on the arm, thankfully I don't need to remove it now. Should really sort myself out with the workshop manual, better than working it all out for myself!

redmist

Post by redmist » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 pm

OMG whats this? Did some massive crane appear and swing the f around whilst I was asleep?

Well NO! I managed to get it back together with all the parts cleaned up and took it for a test up and down the road. The brakes needed some decent pumps to get working again, but the bearings are sweet now, so apart from some bushes squeeking a bit and the gear box sounding like it needs an oil change it feels good.

Also I'm glad to announce that the suspension heights left to right are much more even (In terms of finger widths!)

Jobs tommorow includes fitting a replacement door handle, jacking up the rear for an inspection and maybe a wash finally.

Here's an interior pic just for show, with the door card showing on the passenger seat!

Unfortunately it seems my heart is starting to win over my head, I really want this to get back on the road now, I've spent a few good hours on her now and it would be a shame to waste it all!!

Please Mr MOT man, be nice!

redmist

Post by redmist » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Todays work this afternoon was removing rust again from any place I could get to with the wire / drill combo.

Tarted up with Hammerite.

Pretty much the same condition as the fronts, plenty of surface rust but no structural damage that I can see.

Here's the worst bodywork corrosion, just under the drivers door where theres some form of join in the sill sections:

Yummy!

redmist

Post by redmist » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Some good news finally:

Just picked this up:

£34 from the 'bay, will replace my split rear window nicely!!