MG TF Hard Tops

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

pegasus
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: MG TF115

MG TF Hard Tops

Post by pegasus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Couple of quick, possibly dumb, questions.

Is the Hard Top the same for both MGF and MG TF?
Can the soft top be left in position folded down when fitting the hard top?
Where does the rear heated screen wiring connect to on a MG TF115?

Cheers!
Phil

gwp
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Re: MG TF Hard Tops

Post by gwp » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi pegasus, as has been said on here many times before there's no such thing as dumb questions, however dumb answers are another matter!

Yes Hard Tops are interchangeable across the F and TF

Yes the soft top can be left folded down, although it is advisable to unzip the plastic window and lay this flat

Don't know about wiring, on my 98 F the cable to connect to the HRW is behind the roof frame on the passenger side, I know some things were left off some of the TF range as part of MG Rover's continued cost cutting - I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more knowledge.
MGF 1.8 VVC - 52mm Alloy Throttle Body & K&N 57i Filter

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:17 pm

In theory, all hardtps will fit any MGF or MGTF. However, that is not to say that all hardtops are the same. The early MG one sat on a foam seal along the back edge and tended to mark the paintwork. This was changed by adding a couple of centre supports on the side clips so that the weight of the hardtop rested on the hood frame brackets and not on the body of the car. The seals have also been changed a few times over the years. While there has been several manufacturers of hardtops the two main ones are the OME one and the Heritage one (recognised by having a rain channel along the middle of the roof and little MG badges on the B Posts and some have leather headliners). Originally hartops only came in black and white but around 2002 coloured ones to match the cars became available. All MGFs and TFs came with the wiring loom already installed so that the heated rear window could be connected easily. However, a switch and relay had to be added (unless it was some of the special editions that came with a hardtop) and these have also changed over the years. Switch for a Mk I MGF is the same as the Rover 200 and MGZR but the Mk II MGF and TF have a unique shape (they are also keyed to fit in a specific hole). All you do is remove the blank and fit the plug which is behind the blank into the new switch. The fuseboard was changed circa 2003 and you therefore have to get the correct size of relay which fits your car (big yellow one or smaller black one with green strip). The other thing to remember is that the switch will only light up and the heated rear window will only work when the engine is running (oil pressure switch on engine).

If you are buying a second hand hardtop I would recommend taking your car with you and trying it on before you buy. Adjustment is made at the side and front catches. Not all hardtops fit particularly well (early Heritage ones in particular).

andreasue
MGF Register Region: United States of America

Post by andreasue » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:00 am

David Clelland wrote:All you do is remove the blank and fit the plug which is behind the blank into the new switch. The fuseboard was changed circa 2003 and you therefore have to get the correct size of relay which fits your car (big yellow one or smaller black one with green strip). The other thing to remember is that the oil pressure switch will only light up and the heated rear window will only work when the engine is running oil pressure switch on engine.

If you are buying a second hand hardtop I would recommend taking your car with you and trying it on before you buy. Adjustment is made at the side and front catches. Not all hardtops fit particularly well (early Heritage ones in particular).
Wow very informative and helpful indeed. I actually like his suggestion of trying it out before you buy that will definitely safe you lot of money. But why would the switch only lights up when engine is running? I think mine is busted.

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:54 am

Yes as noted above even the humble TF115 has the connector for the HRW. Its on the nearside and may get a bit buried under the hood but seek....
My car came with an after market hardtop in Xpower grey, It was immaculate but did not match so I sold it onto a club member here with a car in, well surprisingly Xpower grey . I then got a matching Heritage one for mine. When Dave came to collect his hard top we carried it down from the spare bedroom fitted it adjusted it and found the wiring and connected it and he was on his way in 1/2 h.Neither of us had done this before. He got the relay and switch at Summit motors and they fitted them on the forecourt FoC while he waited. After using the car as an every day driver though 2 winters he is delighted with it. We did have to spanner the rear mounts a bit and although the owners manul says clip the rear mounts first we found that clipping the screen ones first worked, they pull the top forward a bit , the back ones then slide to where they need to be and you just lock them at that. My heitage one(which I prefer they just somehow look better) was fitted down at Dave Pymme Motors,(different Dave!)he helped me to put it on and it was adjusted and connected in 10 minutes. They transform the car for a daily driver or long distance or motorway driving. Hard tops have come a long way Ive got a flashy "Bermuda" one for the MGB and its such a pain I never use it.
Lastly, handling the top is a 2 person job.
edit, the screen is about 1 ohm, if the negine isnt running it will kill your battery in adout 10 minutes, thats why its interlocked.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:02 am

There is an oil pressure switch which opens on engine shut down hence turning the HRW off.
Geoff F.

pqd44
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MY2000 MGF 1.8 MPi

Post by pqd44 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks to all those who gave advice on this - brilliant, all the answers in one place,.... almost...
David Clelland wrote:Not all hardtops fit particularly well (early Heritage ones in particular).
I prefer the look of the heritage top rather than the 'bubble' top, which IMHO just doesn't quite look like it belongs on the car.
My question is about the fit of the Heritage top, what is it that makes them a poor fit, is it the seal, is it possible to adjust/add new sealing rubbers to make it a good fit?

Paul
Image The only stupid question is the one that's not asked. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:55 am

pqd44 wrote:Thanks to all those who gave advice on this - brilliant, all the answers in one place,.... almost...

I prefer the look of the heritage top rather than the 'bubble' top, which IMHO just doesn't quite look like it belongs on the car.
Paul
The original black hardtop was designed to go with the car by Gerry McGovern the cars designer - that is why the original *F* had black windscreen surround! :thumbsu:

Gerry also designed the original Freelander before going on to other things - I believe with the Ford studio not sure where he is now! :roll:

pqd44
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MY2000 MGF 1.8 MPi

Post by pqd44 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Must agree, the black window surround does go perfectly with the black hardtop and does also look better when you have a black soft top.

For me the McGovern top is just too rounded and doesn't appear to take into account the contour lines of the bonnet or the boot, in particular, which is why I say it looks at odds with the car. Still beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Speaking of eyes, since I have an eye to purchasing a hardtop (Black or Tahiti Blue), back to David's comments of the Heritage top, what is it that makes them a poor fit, is it the shape, the seal, is it possible to adjust/add new sealing rubbers to make it a good fit?

Advice from previous hardtop owners of any style would be most appreciated :thumbsu:
Image The only stupid question is the one that's not asked. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:38 pm

from my experience with hardtops its around the side windows you have to get them adjusted to fit the hard top and the soft top without gaps. i think early ones did not fit properly so you need to adjust the windows each time you swap between the two!(mine is not like that)
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:14 pm

pqd44 wrote:
My question is about the fit of the Heritage top, what is it that makes them a poor fit, is it the seal, is it possible to adjust/add new sealing rubbers to make it a good fit?

Paul
I would avoid Heritage hard tops at all costs, there seems to be less chance getting them to fit well at all - I know of people who have taken their car and top to Heritage and they have failed to get the top to fit properly. The problem seems to be a poor moulding (in the first place) being given to 3 or 4 different manufactures over the years with variable and questionable end quality.

With my OEM hardtop I have never had any problems with it and there has been no need to make any adjustment to the hard/soft top and windows.

GazMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 1.8i

Post by GazMG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:57 am

pqd44 wrote:Must agree, the black window surround does go perfectly with the black hardtop and does also look better when you have a black soft top.

For me the McGovern top is just too rounded and doesn't appear to take into account the contour lines of the bonnet or the boot, in particular, which is why I say it looks at odds with the car. Still beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Speaking of eyes, since I have an eye to purchasing a hardtop (Black or Tahiti Blue), back to David's comments of the Heritage top, what is it that makes them a poor fit, is it the shape, the seal, is it possible to adjust/add new sealing rubbers to make it a good fit?

Advice from previous hardtop owners of any style would be most appreciated :thumbsu:
Hi mate, I've got a Tahiti Blue F with a matching hardtop, check out my pictures, think it looks great and love it.
My Hardtop is a Heritage one that was black and in poor condition, picked up cheap on eBay. Got it resprayed and thus lost the little MG badging which I really liked - went onto eBay and bought some little silver MG vinyl badges to put in their place. Job done!

Have a look at this link, it's mainly interior pictures (and you commented on it!) but you can also see the hard top.
http://mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6292

Gary

Stan_B

Post by Stan_B » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:10 am

I have always thought the OE hardtop takes its styling cues from the MGA coupe. Thats a very pretty car but of course everyone wants the soft top A these days. My Heritage one seems to fit fine, windows not adjusted yet so no opinion there but will let you know.

mgrv8boy
Model of Car: TF 160 ZR 160 ZTT160

Post by mgrv8boy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:29 pm

if you can get any hard top to fit first time you're very lucky unless it was a factory fitted one. the reason is that the window has to fit into the seal on the hard top whereas the soft top seal fits onto the window as the roof comes down. the soft top seal can, therefore be wider and thicker giving a good seal no matter how the widows are adjusted, the windows can be adjusted in three ways on the TF the window stop can be adjusted to raise or lower the top ofthe window when up and the front and back of the window can be moved in and out in the vertical plane to fit under the seal better. if you have a copy of the workshop manual it can be done in a couple of hours. the TF i just bought had an ok seal on one side and a rubbish one on the other you could drive a bus through but both were ok with the soft top!

pipster101
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: 1996 1.8 VVC MGF

Post by pipster101 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:46 pm

I had a hard-top related question! I need to touch up the front windscreen edge and a few other places on my hard top, so I wanted to track down the paint colour. My hard-top is the standard one in black – is there a special code for this paint? Rimmers seem to do a Pearl Black 75th and 80th Anniversary ones. Is the normal colour a pearl? Please forgive my silly questions...

Thanks in advance, jonathan
Mod's so far: 52mm Throttle Body, Pipercross Venom Cold-Air Induction kit, Smoked Mirrors Kit, Chrome Grille Kit Front & Side, Toyosports S/S Manifold, Janspeed Sports Cat, Janspeed Slashed Imola Exhaust, Superchips Race ICON ECU (to be fitted soon)

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:42 pm

I would go to a motor factors that can match the pint directly with the HT and mix the paint accordingly.

Stan_B

Post by Stan_B » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:59 am

Isnt the 3 letter paint code recorded on the chassis plate? I think mine was there and in the owners handbook. You need to nail this, black is very hard to match and this is a very visible spot.

pipster101
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: 1996 1.8 VVC MGF

Post by pipster101 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks for your replies. I would have thought that it was a fairly common problem, maybe I'll ask Rimmers...
Mod's so far: 52mm Throttle Body, Pipercross Venom Cold-Air Induction kit, Smoked Mirrors Kit, Chrome Grille Kit Front & Side, Toyosports S/S Manifold, Janspeed Sports Cat, Janspeed Slashed Imola Exhaust, Superchips Race ICON ECU (to be fitted soon)

Stan_B

Post by Stan_B » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:29 pm

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:06 pm

A number of years ago I painted my windscreen surround black to match my hardtop. I tried to find out what the correct colour was that MGR used but had no luck. Eventually, I used a BMW black working on the premiss that as long as I knew what it was I could always touch it up. If I were to go for a MG colour I'd go for the 75th Anniversary black (think that's the only solid black that MG did), since it wouldn't make any sense to paint the windscreen surround one colour and the rest of the car another colour. If it's a black hardtop that you have, they are not painted - it's black gelcoat.

Before

After