What would you do? Council contractors ripped off my bumper!

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

What would you do? Council contractors ripped off my bumper!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:24 pm

I've not been lucky with my cars recently. Project Shed's wheels got nicked, then someone stole my '67 Mk1 Mini and now some council contractors have ripped off my MGF's front bumper!!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

Not sure whether to run it through the insurance? Protected no-claims etc, but they'll still find some way to ramp up my premium, especially given the claim going through on my beloved Mini. :evil:

I am going to complain to the council, and I need to try and figure out how to contact the contractor (Morrisons I think - but no number on the signs on the street, and the only other Morrisons builder I can find appears to be one that concentrates on Social Housing, so I don't know whether it is the right one?)

What would you do?

I could just repair (bond a couple plates where the mounting bolts have been pulled through) and replace the broken indicator (the usual clip has failed); otherwise the bumper shows surprisingly little evidence of its assult. Or claim on the insurance and have a proper job done on it? In which case I think this will be about the 4th or 5th front bumper and a similar number of rears. The joys of living in London!!! :rant:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: What would you do? Council contractors ripped off my bum

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Rob, sorry to hear that mate but you shouldn't put that down to the joys of living in London (or the expense) where you live is nice I know. I would like to say, insurance, it's why you pay it, but I'm sure they will not bother to track down the culprit on such a small claim amount. Therefore it will probably affect your no claims bonus as you will be claiming and they will be unable to get their money from the third party. How about a "new" BRG bumper rather than trying to repair it, at least you can do the job yourself.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks Adrian. Probably been unlucky with bumpers!

I tend to agree with you - the insurance will put it down as an unrecovered loss - and thus will effect my premium despite protected no-claims. I shall see whether I can track down a replacement BRG bumper for reasonable money - and in the mean time repair the one I have.

In the mean time, I'll try and pin the council and their contractor down and see whether they will admit liability -- if they do, then this will become an 'insurance job'

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:00 pm

Rob Bell wrote:In the mean time, I'll try and pin the council and their contractor down and see whether they will admit liability -- if they do, then this will become an 'insurance job'
My TF was damaged in a station car park by some stacked road work barriers, that had been left on site by a contractor, blowing in a gale against the side of my car.

I managed through sheer persistence and many phone calls to trace the contractors who were at fault.

They eventually paid for the repairs, and I went nowhere near my insurance company.

I'd recommend this approach - but it will take some work.

I take it that you have photos showing the damage and other evidence that proves who was culpable ...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 pm

I'll post the pictures a little later - let me know what you think! I rather suspect that the contractor may try to wriggle out of it by saying that the damage was caused elsewhere - wherein lies a problem - my word against theirs... :(

himself
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by himself » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 pm

rob you have an email from me .

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks Gerry.

I've finally managed to get in contact with someone in the council. They're coming around to inspect tomorrow morning. Unfortuantely I'll not be there, but Yimmy will be. We'll see what they have to say for themselves...

Might just look for a bumper anyway - seems like a sensible thing to have in the spares cupboard! :thumbsu:

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Sorry to read about this.

I think your claim lies with the council as it was their contractor, however if you need contact details for Morrisions pmail me, I can get them from work as Morrisions are one of our larger customers, let me know who your local council are so I can try and locate a local office to you.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks - I managed to get through to the manager of Harringey's Street Lighting, and he's very kindly agreed to come around tomorrow to look at the car. Unfortunately I won't be there, as I am on call, but Yimmy should be able to show him around the car!

Here's where the car had been parked - the lamp post is new (we hadn't been informed that the new 'post would be put here, so parked thinking that the car would be safe - oops)
DSC00792.jpg
DSC00792.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 524 times
DSC00793.jpg
DSC00793.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 524 times
DSC00795.jpg
DSC00795.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 524 times
DSC00796.jpg
DSC00796.jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:03 pm

And here's the damage done - the mountings on the bumper have been ripped through. Not taken the bumper off yet to see whether there's more damaged hidden behind - but hopefully not, as I think this has been pulled rather than pushed...
DSC00798.jpg
DSC00798.jpg (52.98 KiB) Viewed 523 times
DSC00801.jpg
DSC00801.jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 523 times
DSC00802.jpg
DSC00802.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 523 times

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Quick update on this: man from council came just after Morrisons took away their barriers. He didn't bother coming up to the house, but was just standing there in the street when Yimmy spotted him!

Net outcome of conversation is that he felt that this was difficult to prove (no surprise there ofcourse - and our street doesn't have CCTV - but there have been many other complaints on our road of property and vehicles being damaged during this upgrade work!), and that he'd be passing the information on to Morrisons.

Hmm. I don't expect big things. But perhaps I should be persistent?

pegasus
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: MG TF115

Post by pegasus » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Rob,

Why should you put up with this? Be persistent! We are all guilty of letting things be at times but enough is enough. Go for it! I wish you luck!!!

Phil

Canalsman

Post by Canalsman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Persist, persist, persist ... then persist some more!

It's not just about your car either.

The contractors' staff may be damaging other people's property too, and they must not be allowed to get away with it.

I recall having a run in with Morrisons contractors myself.

They were digging a trench outside our house, dropped some material on my Volvo's bonnet, and whilst I watched from the house swept it off with their hands and sleeves. Unsurprisingly the paint was scoured.

They paid up eventually ...

So ...

Persist, persist, persist ... then persist some more!

Canalsman

Post by Canalsman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:27 pm

PS I am amused by the shortened thread title. Oooh err :lol:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:13 pm