Driving Licence

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Driving Licence

Post by David Clelland » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:45 am

I was at the Post Office yesterday afternoon and noticed a strange contraption in the corner with curtains round it. When I enquired what it was I was told that it was for renewing driving licences. The girl behind the counter informed me that ALL drivers must have the new photocard licence and that they need to be renewed every 10 years. I didn't think that she was correct in this, but I didn't argue. I've still got the old paper style document and as far as I knew I only need to change it for the newer style if my details change (which they haven't in the last 20 years or so). I searched in the 'net for guidance on this but not had much luck in finding anything useful. DVLA site tells me how to renew my licence but not whether I need to. I've also emailed The AA but not got anything back from them as yet. Can anybody point me to a site that will confirm whether or not I need to change my licence from the old paper one to the newer plastic one?

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Driving Licence

Post by colintf » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:05 pm

I think that you are correct Dave.

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Correct, if you have the old paper one and your details are the same, no need to change.

Only if you have the photo one does the photo need update every 10 years (same as your passport)
---
Loud & Proud!

Glenn Neilson
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Post by Glenn Neilson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 pm

I dont have my drivers licence on me at the moment (new kind) but its a little known fact that this must be renewed! I was under the impression once you had you licence that was it. When I get home I'll check which part on the new style licence you need to check for a renewal date.

As i work in the court setting, I hear of this all the time. People being caught out because the didnt realist their 'new style' has an expiery date :o The magistrates dont listen and promptly fine folk!

James Curgenven

Post by James Curgenven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 pm

You have a reminder sent from the DVLA a month before it's due to "expire" anyway.
---
Loud & Proud!

Glenn Neilson
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Post by Glenn Neilson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Found this

Many motorists believe that their photocard - like the old style green paper licences - are valid right up until they turn 70. In actual fact, they expire after a relatively short ten year period. The reason this has come to light recently is because the photocards were first issued in 1998, and so 2008 saw the first ten year expiry dates come up and catch lots of drivers out. Since July of 2008, around 170,000 UK licences have expired and by the end of January 2009, more than a quarter of those motorists who are due to renew their licences with the DVLA, hadn’t done so.

from this site . . .

http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/ren ... years.html

Best to try and keep the paper licence. :thumbsu:

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:20 pm

In this country in the past, and last week in Italy, I have had to produce the paper one, as well as the plastic card to rent vehicles. The card image is too small to be of any ID value and now it runs out too........why on earth must we have the plastic card?
ID card by the back door?

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Over the years my licence has been changed/upgraded due to work requirements (PCV/HGV etc) but it's not any more so I've just checked. On the back it's all valid until 2022 but on the front, in small print section 4b "licence valid until" it's 29.01.12. Seems a way of making money to me, hope I get the reminder.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

James Curgenven

Post by James Curgenven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Charless wrote:In this country in the past, and last week in Italy, I have had to produce the paper one, as well as the plastic card to rent vehicles. The card image is too small to be of any ID value and now it runs out too........why on earth must we have the plastic card?
ID card by the back door?
The image is fine for ID use. The reason you need to produce the paper part as well is that shows any endorsements. Which defeats the point of the entire thing if you ask me.
---
Loud & Proud!

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm

If you guys think you've been hard done by, think again. Until 2009, drivers in Jersey had to renew their driving licences every 5 years. Since 2009 and with the introduction of plastic driving licences (credit card size) -complete with mugshot - they've been uprated to 10 years. The cost also shot up to cover the cost of the new technology to produce them. My licence shows the Jersey flag, a GBJ sticker, the parish crest (mine was issued in the Parish of St. Brelade) and a small gold Jersey map together with my mugshot.

The cost is now £40-00 for the ten years. This does represent a reduction in cost per year from the old licences. As we had to renew every five years there was no chance of keeping hold of the old style ones. Anyone setting up residence in Jersey has to apply for a local licence with the UK or EU licence having to be handed in. They are breaking the law if they stay in Jersey longer than six months and continue to drive on a non-Jersey licence. It's also illegal to import a vehicle and not have it re-registered with Jersey plates.

Vehicles have to be inspected by the DVS (Driver and Vehicle Standards) where they have a team of vehicle inspectors. Any valid MOT certificates are ignored and so are of no use whatsoever. I found that out when I imported my MGB in 2002.

willyphixitt

David Clelland

Post by David Clelland » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Ok it sounds as if I don't need to do anything then.

You know thinking about this has just reminded me that when I passed my test it was the little red book that I had as a licence which had to be renewed every 3 years (I think). From what I can remember this was changed to the now "old fashioned" paper licence to comply with EU regs and this lasted to the age of 70. The latest plastic licence also seems to have come into being at the behest of the EU and again a time limit has been introduced. Is this just to swell the coffers of the treasury or am I just being cynical.

willyphixitt
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 2006(reg) TF135

Post by willyphixitt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:31 pm

David, You cynical? Nah, no chance.

willyphixitt

aka "born-again cynic"

himself
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by himself » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 am

David Clelland wrote:Ok it sounds as if I don't need to do anything then.

You know thinking about this has just reminded me that when I passed my test it was the little red book that I had as a licence which had to be renewed every 3 years (I think). From what I can remember this was changed to the now "old fashioned" paper licence to comply with EU regs and this lasted to the age of 70. The latest plastic licence also seems to have come into being at the behest of the EU and again a time limit has been introduced. Is this just to swell the coffers of the treasury or am I just being cynical.
but when you sat your test way back then you had to wear a red shirt, black dungarees,leather gauntlets, ww1 goggles, ''tackitty bits'', a leather helmet and a'' hollier than though'' look, oh and carry a pail for god knows what reason.

i think i have a picture of it some where !!!! :twisted:

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:53 am

I've just renewed my photo driving licence and there are now all sorts of restrictions on the photo, for example your ears can't be covered and glasses should be removed so the colour of your eyes are clearly visible which would be understandable but the new pictures on the card are now grey scale! :roll:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I also sat my first test in the days similar to David, there was no theory test to pass, it all seemed so much easier.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

David Clelland

Post by David Clelland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:25 pm

My first test was my motorbike one when I was sixteen (long time ago). As Adrian said, no theory test. Ran round the block one way and then the other. Examiner never moved. Asked a couple of question on the Highway Code and then it was 750cc Triumph or Norton here I come :lol: Well a picture of one because I couldn't afford a real one.

Oh and contrary to what Gerry said above the picture on the right isn't of me it's a Scottish hero called "Oor Wullie".

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:14 pm

David Clelland wrote:My first test was my motorbike one when I was sixteen (long time ago). As Adrian said, no theory test. Ran round the block one way and then the other. Examiner never moved. Asked a couple of question on the Highway Code and then it was 750cc Triumph or Norton here I come :lol: Well a picture of one because I couldn't afford a real one.

Oh and contrary to what Gerry said above the picture on the right isn't of me it's a Scottish hero called "Oor Wullie".
David you are obviously a "youngster" when I took my motor bike test the largest Triumph or Norton was 650 CC BUT I had to make do with a 35 CC BSA Winged Wheel!

himself
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by himself » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Green Squirrel wrote:
David Clelland wrote:My first test was my motorbike one when I was sixteen (long time ago). As Adrian said, no theory test. Ran round the block one way and then the other. Examiner never moved. Asked a couple of question on the Highway Code and then it was 750cc Triumph or Norton here I come :lol: Well a picture of one because I couldn't afford a real one.

David you are obviously a "youngster" when I took my motor bike test the largest Triumph or Norton was 650 CC BUT I had to make do with a 35 CC BSA Winged Wheel!

och weel, awe you rich folk wae yur ''35 CC BSA Winged '' and yur pictures of '' 750cc Triumph or Norton '' ah wus so poor ah hud tae lie doon in sauchiehall street an get a beezza bantum tae run o'er me tae a least ''own'' the tyre marks oan ma heed. ah the guid o'le days :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

tanamana
Model of Car: TF LE500 - no. 60

Post by tanamana » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Jings ! That must hae been awfu for ye, hen. I had wan o they Bantam hingmys run oer ma foot wance.
I didnae own it, though - it wis wan o they 'Rockers' frae ower in Govan.
Happiness is a cool car *

internet@mgfregister.org
Twitter - @origato
Facebook - The MGF Register

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:43 pm

"a 35 CC BSA Winged Wheel"
My chainsaw is bigger than that ;o)