What is it worth. (1997 MGF with only 5000 miles)

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

mums car
MGF Register Region: North Wales

What is it worth. (1997 MGF with only 5000 miles)

Post by mums car » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi just want some advise.

My mum has had an 1997 MGF from new, it has been her second car. The car has only done 5000 miles, yes only 5000 miles. It is a total un-touch, everything is original (still has the radio cassette in it), underneath the car is new, she never uses it in the rain. It is purple with cream leather piped in black. The car could easily be used for concourse. What would you say this is worth, it must be worth well over book price. She want's to sell because she just wants to run one car.

Thanks
Mike.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: What is it worth. (1997 MGF with only 5000 miles)

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Really difficult. MGFs are down into the banger range in terms of value - and while your mother's car is clearly in very good condition, it isn't really going to be worth more than 1500 quid...? There again, to the right buyer on the right day, you could press (and get) more.

Post some pictures and cast a net and see who's going to be interested.

Mark L
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Mark L » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Presumably this is the same car you asked about on .org a few months ago?.....

General opinion then was circa £2K tops - dont see anything to change this now.

As Rob says, MGF's are in pretty much banger status now so even very clean low mile examples don't fetch that much above the norm, they just are perhaps easier to sell.

Hold onto the car for another 10 years when it'll have by then reached classic status and you may get something more like what a low mile, one owner 'classic' is worth.

mums car
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by mums car » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for advice. No I have never been on .org, this is the first time I have used one of these forums, good to be able to get some thoughts. I have always been a Lotus man myself, just my mum was talking to a few garages to part exchange the car & I said I would investigate what it is worth, & it seems such a shame to let it go for 1 or 2 k. I think for what it is worth she should keep it, but she doesn't want to keep paying two lots of tax & insurance.

Anyway thanks again, if any one has any more advice or could be interested in it lewt me know.

JEA55
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by JEA55 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:41 pm

This may be a car that is of interest to me - will send you a PM.