looking to buy

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

don39
MGF Register Region: Essex

looking to buy

Post by don39 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am

I am looking to buy my 1st mgf just want some informed information i have about £2500 to spend what would you buy low mileage older mgf or newer model with higher milage. I have noticed older cars are much cheaper is this just because there older or are they not as good as newer models, does mileage matter much to mgf also any weak points in a mgf to look out for body as well as engine, many thanks dave.

MartinW
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: LE500, MG6GT, MGB GT

Re: looking to buy

Post by MartinW » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Summer is never a good time to buy an open top car. If you can, wait until Winter when the weather is miserable and people are wanting to raise some extra cash and may be convinced to part with their F or TF for a cheeky offer.

As to which, I have only just got into the F/TF scene having been classic (B GT) owner with a ZT for many years. That said, mine is a new TF and I bought new because it is my everyday car and I wanted the joys of 3yr warranty and no MOT etc. But if it was to have been a toy for weekends, I'd have taken the £2500 and gone shopping for a pampered, one MGCC/MGOC owner from new MGF VVC because I prefer their looks to the TF.
MartinW
No longer a TF owner...sad times :(

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Lots of buying guides to look at, and here's mine to start off with: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/MGF_buying.htm

Old, low mileage versus newer, high mileage... well to be honest, at this juncture, I would buy which ever car takes your fancy. MY2000 cars have a nicer interior and the smoked clear indicator lenses that everyone buys for their earlier cars. But other wise trim and option specifications don't really alter all that much. It wasn't really until the TF that the 160ps VVC engine became a routine model.

Later cars came with more modifications to prevent HGF - but to be honest, most earlier cars will already have this work done (unless very low mileage, practically never used - and there are plenty of other arguments to avoid such vehicles - not least rubber seal degradation due to lack of use...)

Pick a car you fancy I'd say. Plus there are plenty of special and limited editions to choose from if you fancy something a little different from the crowd. :)

Mark L
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Mark L » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:29 pm

don39 wrote:I am looking to buy my 1st mgf just want some informed information i have about £2500 to spend what would you buy low mileage older mgf or newer model with higher milage. I have noticed older cars are much cheaper is this just because there older or are they not as good as newer models, does mileage matter much to mgf also any weak points in a mgf to look out for body as well as engine, many thanks dave.
Regardless of which model you get, Condition and history are always MUCH more important than age or mileage, for Eg if you looked at two 8 year old cars, one with 30K on the clock and 2 stamps in the book (serviced by mileage), and another with 60K on the clock and 7 stamps in the book (serviced by age) then I'd always choose the latter.

I'd want to see evidence of a cam belt/s change (60K miles of 4/5 years whichever comes first) I'd also expect most 'F's would now be one their second radiator/underfloor coolant pipes and head gasket so would want to see something in the history to show this.

If your not sure what to look for then perhaps post your location and see if someone from the forum will give any possible purchase the once over for you.

Good Luck.