very light on the front while driving

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Piers Wightman
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

very light on the front while driving

Post by Piers Wightman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:38 pm

I have had my MGF 1.8 for just over a year. I have never driven one before this and have been experiencing a unstable feeling while driving over 60mph. The tyres are new and the balancing is correct, is there a particular reason why the car should feel much lighter on the front wheels than the back, or is that just all rear while drive cars? It really does feel as tough I need a concrete block under the bonnet.

Kind Regards

Piers Wightman

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: very light on the front while driving

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

In my opinion, from personal experience of my F when I first got it, you are thinking the same as I did. If you look at the front of the F you will see the curved underside of the front bumper, in my opinion the wind gets under there and at speeds above 60mph, (I felt 55) it's actually lifting slightly giving you the feel just as you describe of light vague steering.

I fitted a KH splitter (you could also fit a "Trophy" spoiler) these will improve the aerodynamics and push the front end down and give you a more positive feel.

Just my opinion but it worked for me, you don't need one on a TF as it has a small lip spoiler as standard that does a good job up to maximum speed.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Choice of tyres has been mentioned as a source of odd feeling handling as well. What did you fit when you changed? I agree withthe TF at speed BTW, joy to drive. The spoiler is a win win as less lift means less drag.

dfv8
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

Post by dfv8 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Late post I know, but I thought exactly the same re the lightness of the front. The advice to fit a splitter is correct in my opinion, KH one about to be fitted on mine.

If you have EPAS, as I have on mine this tends to exacerbate the waywardness of the front-end - so I suppose all is normal, although I was suprised at it's sensitivity when compared to my Y2K Ford Focus.

Also agree about the sensitivity to tyre types/makes, well documented elsewhere. Preferable to use tyres with very stiff sidewalls.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Piers,

Agree that the addition of a front splitter will solve the problem of the front feeling light. Our F felt very light at motorway speeds, but was totally transformed when the front splitter was fitted. Whereabouts in Somerset & Dorset are you? If you're local then I'll gladly take you out in our F so you can experience the difference.

Nigel
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Are you guys still carrying the spare in the front?
Does it help?
Does a EPAS switch help?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Yes, I have the steel spare in the front ~ it's always been there.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

dparker
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 75th Anniv 1.8i

Post by dparker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Would try the tracking perosnally, as would guess the front are set well toe out, or incorrect at least. Also the lower the profile, the lighter it feels for me (215 40 16 on mine)

Topless
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: MGF 1995

Post by Topless » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:22 am

Yes I had the very same prob when I first bought my F and very scarey it was too.
I brought it to the " MGF Centre " and they fixed it by setting the traking. They gave me a copy of the settings for future referene which i will hoke out ( hopefully ! ), scan and send them to you whenever I get home maybe later this week or early next week.Just let me know if you want them i will be happy to do it for you.It really made a huge differene as the car now sits on the road and handles as a sports car should :-)
Hope it helps you
Des " Topless "
"Nil illegitimi carborundum "

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 am

It is a combination of things:

- Aerodynamic front end lift (well documented - some more summary here). Fitting a KH splitter helps no end with standard suspension settings - and is a doddle to do (more here)
- Tyre choice/ mismatched tyre brands front to rear/ tyre pressures - fit a recommended tyre, and ensure that the tyre pressures are correct (I personally find 30psi all round works well, but that isn't the standard setting)
- Tracking - the standard figure for toe at the front is 0deg10min toe out. Toe out at the front is said to improve turn in response, but also increases instability. Going for 0deg5min toe in per wheel really makes a substantial difference to steering feel and stability. More here.

On my car, that's been lowered on knuckles and tightended up on Bilstein dampers from Tech-Speed, there's neglible difference from the fitment of the splitter - so I've not had it re-fitted since I replaced the front bumper.

Regarding EPAS - yes, it's pretty easy to fit a cut-out switch, but although there is a little more steering texture at speed, it doesn't cure the problem.

BTW fitting a TF steering rack is not only quicker than the standard MGF EPAS rack, but is also more accurate and results less wander on the motorway.

So there's a summary of some of the contributory factors (and I've not included worn suspension components as a cause - but clearly worn bushes and track rod ends/ ball joints will all have adverse effects). I wouldn't necessary rush out and follow all the recommendations at once. I'd probably check the suspension components for good health, check the tyres, re-set the tracking and consider a splitter.

If you're planning to head track-side, then up-rating the suspension and considering a change to the steering rack and a few of the other more extreme modifications will start to to make sense.

Hope this helps!

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 am

Got to agree with Rob. Fitting a splitter to a standard car doesn't cure the problem, it just masks it. My car is lowered with adjustable shockers and "Toe In" settings and it's as solid as a rock at high speeds. I've a splitter fitted but only because someone gave it to me for nothing. It didn't make the slightest difference to how my car handled.