How much fuel in a 50litre tank?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

How much fuel in a 50litre tank?

Post by Charless » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 pm

I know it not big and it is not clever but my silly goal of 500 miles from a tankful of 'normal' driving, edges closer.
Yesterday my 480 mile range required 53.6l to fill up the tank and pipework, which equates to 41ish mpg. It is an unmodified MPi doing slightly in excess of the national speed limit frequently and over 8 days of winter commuting - traffic, headlights and wipers on wet roads recently - all negatives.
When I fill up, I don't sqeeze the last drop in, but stop at the first pound after the cut out operates on flat out fill.
I have heard of a 55l fill up and indeed there was some more red below the the needle - not a great deal.
Has anybody run out of fuel in an F?

Broon
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Re: How much fuel in a 50litre tank?

Post by Broon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:42 pm

ONly once in 5 yrs, and thats because the garage had stolen it whilst doing the HGF (alledgedly ;) )

I picked it up and never even amde it to a garage in time before it conked out.

I have had 55 litres in mine and I have also driving over 20 with the needle was on pin!!!
My MGF website = http://www.iain-brown.com

Charless

Post by Charless » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi Broon, did it reprime quickly/easily after running dry, and is that why you changed the fuel filter?

Broon
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by Broon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Yes and yes :lol:

I got a can and some fuel for a garage and added it . When I turned key it gurgled and made funny noises for a bit, then once the noises stopped I turned her over and started after a few turns.

I changed the filter afterwards as my performance was bad after HGF was fixed, and It was suggested it was the fuel filter. It did help, but not for long :(

Then again for 10 pounds and 20mins of your time,its worth doing that.
My MGF website = http://www.iain-brown.com

Charless

Post by Charless » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 pm

Here is an old thread. I didn't set out to do an eco drive but after two weeks of utterly ordinary school hols commuting without the deranged schoolrun 4*4s, I thought why not? This includes stationary waits at roadworks, several visits to the nineties and many fast runs not much below. 550 miles would be possible without these excesses and easily done on a disciplined long run. I normally only need to use the brakes at junctions.
small guage.jpg
small guage.jpg (17.07 KiB) Viewed 452 times
big pump.jpg
big pump.jpg (17.86 KiB) Viewed 452 times