mike satur roll hoops

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

paulg
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF135 MY2005

mike satur roll hoops

Post by paulg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Does anyone living within reasonable distance of Fleet (Hants) have a set of Mike Satur's roll hoops fitted that I could eyeball please? Thanks, Paul

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Re: mike satur roll hoops

Post by David Clelland » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 am

Sorry not close to you but here's some pictures of hoops being fitted to my car at Mike's. It might help.

http://www.csmgf.co.uk/temp/Temp.htm

paulg

Post by paulg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks David - enjoyed videos of your Highlander Weekend - must get 'up north' sometime. Hopefully there's someone slightly closer with the hoops fitted!

JIW9151
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: TF Stepspeed

Post by JIW9151 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Paul
I have some of Mike's rool hoops fitted to my TF. I live in Abingdon.
Email to arrange john.watson45 AT ntlworld.com
John - Abingdon -
2002 MG TF Stepspeed X-Power Grey
1964 MGB Mk1 Iris Blue

paulg

Post by paulg » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks John - email on it's way.

gotmeanf
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: 75th anniversary MGF

Post by gotmeanf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi Paul, I presume you're wanting to fit the hoops yourself ? I fitted a pair of roll hoops similar to Mike Satur's design. Not exactly easy unless you're quite handy. The underside of the plastic trim they pass thru behind the seats, has to be trimmed (moulded foam cut back) to allow room for the anchor bar to fit under it. (bit of a daunting task !!) The actual bolting together is straight forward. I bought mine off ebay but can't remember the company name. (I could probably find it if you're interested) They are polished stainless steel and have a 'chunky' look to them with only a slight forward angle. I prefer them to Mike's but that's only my opinion, good luck, regards Bill.

paulg

Post by paulg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:02 am

Hi Bill, thanks for info on your hoops. Had a look at John W's roll hoops (Mike Satur type) & liked what I saw so have ordered a set for DIY fit. Have looked at Mike's fitting instructions &, as you say, the most daunting part of the proc looks like being the accurate cutting/positioning of the 4 holes through the T-bar trim. I did find a post on the forum suggesting cutting holes slightly undersize, carefully removing the foam from underneath up to the full diameter, and then pushing the hoops through the plastic outer layer for a nice close fit - sounds like a good idea! Regards, Paul

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Mike will supply you with a template. Use the holes for the studs at the back of the T-Bar to position the template, then drill small holes through the trim where you want the centre of the bars to go. You then use a hole saw to take them out to the correct size. Another useful tip is to use seals from a washbasin trap to finish off the the join between the metal and the T-Bar. If you make the hole too tight it sometimes squeakes. Also fit the barrel bolts through the bracket before you put them into the hole in the car. If you drop it through the hole there is no way of getting it back. Also, leave everything slack until all the bolts are fitted and then tighten them up.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Mike's roll hoops are, in my opinion, the best option of all those available. Certainly a good deal neater than the Mk2 X-Power hoops, and more substantial than the competing MGF Centre items (also the Mike Satur ones look better too).

As David's picture shows, you can get a OEM look - which ironically, is better than the OEM offering! :lol:

paulg

Post by paulg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks David & Rob for your advice. Apart from appearance, the other negative aspect of the X-power version IMO is the need to remove the hoops before you can take off the engine cover. Hadn't thought that making the holes through the T-bar a tight fit (for appearance) might create a squeak!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 am

I have the Mk1 X-Power hoops - and on these you need to remove them to take of the engine cover. For the Mk1, this really isn't difficult - just a couple of bolts. I think a similar situation exists for the Mk2, but given that it is burried under the T-bar, it is probably a bit of extra hastle...

Given the choice, I'd go the Mike Satur items. Or, if you don't want to fit a glass rear screen to your soft top, the Mk1 X-Power hoops would be a good choice - if you can find one! :)

paulg

Post by paulg » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:48 am

Thanks Rob - Mike S hoops on order. The hoops are Mike's Mk3 version (larger dia tube than Mk1) with optional glass wind-stop so can experiment with/without w/s fitted. Took note of the interesting noise comparisons in current issue FTF!

gotmeanf
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: 75th anniversary MGF

Post by gotmeanf » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi again Paul, Just another quickie, The roll hoops I bought and fitted have stainless escutcheons (shaped) to finish the job where the hoops pass thru the plastic trim (no bathroom equipment required - Ha Ha !!) - plus speaker mounts (to use if/as required) AND all templates. They were ordered from 'Steelworks Ltd', Wilmslow Rd, Manchester. M20 2YY, Defo worth checkin' out. - p.s. The hole drilling is relatively easy, but as I tried to point out, you have to carve some of the moulded foam from the underside of the plastic trim, otherwise the steel bar that your hoops sit on won't allow the trim to sit naturally in place. Regards once again, Bill. STOP PRESS - Just found the same hoops (with excellent pics) - check out Justroadster.com, type in MGF roll hoops - price £199.00 (pair), Mikes are around £300.00 I think and look a little 'tacky' compared to these. (please remember, this is only my opinion !!). Happy Hoopin', B.