New Forum - Love it/Hate it

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

PERRY-MGTF
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: New Forum - Love it/Hate it

Post by PERRY-MGTF » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:30 am

My first post here and the forum looks great!!!
Very much improved over the old one! even the mere fact
that it is now inegrated to the mgfregister site is a step forward!

Sorry for not posting yet, I have been extremely busy!
MG TF - 80th Anniversary Edition #869 of 1600
Owning an MG is one of life's great joys
"Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas"

mga mark
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by mga mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:52 am

Despite earlier scepticism, looks good and easy to use. One minor point, the link to the Archived forum is useful, but could it be made to open in a new window please rather than taking you out of the new forum?

MGA Mark

cjmillsnun
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by cjmillsnun » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:17 pm

charless wrote:Well if you are asking, for my money it is now like a poor copy of dot org with the same small pictures and personal publicity commentaries, large empty spaces (which take forever to load) and just a few people with anything to say about Fs rather than themselves.
Everybody seems to have gone to MGR dot org, except that dot org has lots of people already posting - so you will (eventually) find something of interest - unlike the new F register.
Just my opinion and I deliberately did not vote on the move, fearing the worst, so I do not complain - much. But I do care about the diminishing F interest which is glaring - same as BBS, which has recenty and in my opinion foolishly, introduced pictures. The mouth breathers congregate.
Charles,

I don't see any diminishing interest in MGFs here. The decision was taken at a committee meeting that I was present at, and it was felt that the disadvantages were outweighed by the advantages.

Personally I can only see this long term as an improvement to the register, as it gives us control over our data which is critical.

I believe that you can disable images from your control panel so that you could display it in more of a text format, however posting images can sometimes be useful, for example on a technical question, someone could post an image of how a part fits correctly as part of a reply, giving someone who was unsure a very useful pointer that is worth 1000 words.

I do agree though, that overuse of graphics can slow things down for people who do not have a broadband connection, and that people should bear this in mind before posting large images.

alistair
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: TF 160

Post by alistair » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:38 pm

Growing to love it.

Hadn't worked out half the functions on the old site, so I will now have hours of fun working out this one!!

From little acorns .........

Well done James. for what it's worth (not a lot) I am impressed. :thumbsu:

Topless
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: MGF 1995

Post by Topless » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:07 pm

Its got my vote, well done I like it :thumbsu:
"Nil illegitimi carborundum "

Broon
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by Broon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:06 am

Looking very good so far. But I cant get used to having profiles on the left. Has to be the first "Left Handed" forum I have ever seen :lol:
My MGF website = http://www.iain-brown.com

Herbie
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by Herbie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:06 pm

Broon, you can switch it to an "RHD forum" :lol:
-> User control panel / board preferenses / change from prosilver to subsilver ... et voilá :)
MGF 1.8i - Nighfire Red (CAQ)
Daytona Backbox - Piper Sports Cat - 52mm TB - TF Steering Rack - TF 80th LE elements - Compliance Washers - Clear Indicators - Assorted Bling

Steve
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 160 TF Sprint SE

Post by Steve » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:12 pm

"Looking very good so far. But I cant get used to having profiles on the left. Has to be the first "Left Handed" forum I have ever seen"

Its about time us Left handed people actually had a choice in this Right handed World :P

Broon
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by Broon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:42 pm

Herbie wrote:Broon, you can switch it to an "RHD forum" :lol:
-> User control panel / board preferenses / change from prosilver to subsilver ... et voilá :)
Yipee!!
My MGF website = http://www.iain-brown.com