Floor carpets

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

ElectroSoldier
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 'я' MGF 1.8i VVC

Floor carpets

Post by ElectroSoldier » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

Hi all ))

Im not to happy with the state of the floor carpets in my car.

The drivers side carpet at the front right (to the right of and a ince or two back from the gas pedel) has a large ragged hole it it...

Not quite sure why its gone there, and it that way, I do hope it doesnt point to a problem.... >?

Anyway I was thinking about a new carpet.

But If Im doing it, I wouldnt mind one with a nice MG F logo on it... embroidered into the carpet itself maybe.

Does anybody know where I can get one like this?

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Re: Floor carpets

Post by Steve White » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 am

I cant quite tell from your post if its the carpet or the mat that has worn and your looking to replace?
As I am sure your aware, the main purpose of using mats is the stop the carpet underneath from wearing through at the point you describe, where your heel sits when your foot is on the accelerator.

Replacement mats are readily available from most MG parts suppliers and Ebay, in a range of colours and with or without logos and of varying quality.
If it’s a full carpet set you are after however, I am only aware of one company that sells a replacement, Newton Commercial in Suffolk. I'm not aware they offer a logo embroidery service, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:12 am

Steve's correct, I replaced the whole carpet set in the F with a Newton Commercials set, it's top quality and well made, it fits like a glove too.

As far as I'm aware they do not embroider the carpets but offer a matching set of mats with the MG logo : http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/mgf/pr ... series=139 Looks like £144 for the three pieces. The carpet comes in the two sides and a one piece rear to make the whole set, it tucks under the transmission tunnel so you don't need to remove that just release it.

See FasTForward # 5 pages 34 for a how to guide.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Softly~Softly
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF1.8VVC TF135. 160

Post by Softly~Softly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:49 pm

ElectroSoldier wrote:Hi all ))

Im not to happy with the state of the floor carpets in my car.

The drivers side carpet at the front right (to the right of and a ince or two back from the gas pedel) has a large ragged hole it it...

Not quite sure why its gone there, and it that way, I do hope it doesnt point to a problem.... >?

Anyway I was thinking about a new carpet.

But If Im doing it, I wouldnt mind one with a nice MG F logo on it... embroidered into the carpet itself maybe.

Does anybody know where I can get one like this?
Yes the MGF center do them, I have bought 2 to go with the new carpet that is going in :)

http://www.mgfcentre.com/
For all MG/Rover .. MGWW MGWorldWide https://www.facebook.com/groups/midland ... p_activity

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 am

It is the carpets Im talking about not the matts.
They have done a sterling job protecting the floor carpet if the wear is anything to go by.

I think the hole problem is something was split on it at some point because its rather a ragged hole, not cut its to ragged.

I wanted some kind of MGF logo sewen in between the door and the seat... that blank area where all the dust and fag ash collects lol.

Thank you for that web address, I could kiss you for that, its like an aladins cave)))
Want a dark red dash and center console too, but Ill wait for that..... its the carpet thats bothering me.

I think I might have to go for logo'd matts instead though

Moblies
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by Moblies » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:19 pm

Sounds like a similar place to mine, you can see through to the floor pan, It looks like the previous owners wore alot of High Heels and had no mats!

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:54 pm

Oh I see...

No the hole isnt where you heel would be.... its more to the right of the pedle that back from it. its right up in the corner really...

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:35 pm

I bet it's down to a previous 'lady' owner. My wife's little Citroën AX had a similar problem and I couldn't figure out why the carpet had worn through in that particular place... until I watched her getting into the car. Every time, after sitting on the seat she re-adjusted her position by shoving her bum into the backrest - guess where she got her purchase... right foot into the carpet.

They don't have to be wearing stilettos, just shoes with heels.

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:33 am

Yes, happened in my old F - due to her heels when driving. I you can't face or afford replacing the carpet, it should be possible to patch from underneath if you're interested in practicality rather than looks :)
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:21 am

I think that I have a couple of driver's side carpets in the spares collection. Neither are perfect, with small tears at the edges, but are intact in the heal board area... Available for a nominal contribution to the Project Shed build fund if anyone's interested? :)

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:00 am

I suppose when I think about it that is the place you would push against when your adjusting the seat.
And the previous owners where all girls.

Cheers for the offer of the newer carpet, but Im seriously considering getting the whole interior done (leather and alcantara and aluminum) so A nice new plush carpet will be a must))

however the bowls ))))

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:20 am

No worries :)

Head lamp bowls mentioned on other thread :)