judder shudder when moving off

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
mgfneal
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 1996 mgf 1.8 mpi

judder shudder when moving off

Post by mgfneal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi guys I have a annoying problem with my f .About 2 months ago when I got in my f started up from cold and moved off it had a horrible judder shudder from the rear of the car and I have been unable to cure The fault only seems to happen when the car is cold when moving off in 1st gear doesn't do it in reverse or moving off in 2nd gear the clutch hits the bite and you can feel it starting to pull the put a bit of power to move off it Judders shudders doesn't seem to do it if you move off at tick over and doesn't seem to do it all the time . I noticed a small miss fire at 1,5k so I changed plugs rotor arm and dizzy car ran better but still juddered I bled the clutch still the same replaced torque tame with second had one no change .The clutch doesn't slip and bites well going up steep inclines even manages to move with hand brake on with no slippage .I'm hoping its not clutch related but I'm running out of ideas it seems to dissapear when the car is up to temp cheers guys

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: judder shudder when moving off

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 am

I think that there has to be a suspicion that this is clutch related - be that due to oil contamination or a warped clutch plate - but a non-clutch related problem could be a failing engine or gearbox mount, permitting too much movement under heavy load?

mgnminiman
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by mgnminiman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:34 am

Could it be the rear brakes sticking?

mgfneal

Post by mgfneal » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Rob when the torque tamer is removed him easy should the engine be to rock backwards and forwards ?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 am

Not very easily, but there will be decernable movement.

mgfneal

Post by mgfneal » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm

hmmm well when I took mine off I could move the engine backward n forward from underneath with one hand quite easily I take it from your reply that's not normal !?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:55 pm

The key there is "how easy is easy" - which I appreciate is not an easy one to answer!

mgfneal

Post by mgfneal » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:47 pm

the only resistance felt like it was only the engine weight but pivoted with minimal resistance .I have noticed than coming off the power I can feel a definite shift in weight behind me does feel like the engine is moving to much but as this is the only Mgf I have ever driven I don't know how its supposed to feel ?