mems1 to mems3

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
chrisrigby
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon LE VVC

Re: mems1 to mems3

Post by chrisrigby » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:49 am

Along with the TF auto test and maybe sprint project thats in the pipe line for me and tony, I'll be garaging frankenstien at the end of july as I'll be away for a while with work, when I return and have a week or so time off I'm planning on finally fitting the correct head to the car. So makes sence to remove the subframe and hence engine and make good of the info here and turn it to MEMS3. Plus then the rear of the car will be puka!

I sadly just gave away the engine loom from the TF and ecu, so I'll be looking for another set as well as a rear subframes complete.

When it comes to the loom I'm after a wiring diagram so I can correctly splice and reconnect plugs ect, as for the injector loom I've got that already, I have the spark leads, the ivac from the inlet manifold but looking at it its just a connection difference but the maf sensor is there so may just change the whole inlet. The sensor are cheap and as I'll be looking to have the ecu fettled with I can turn off the rear lambda so loom and ecu is all I'm needing. I THINK...

Wow it sounds so simple in my head lol

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:47 am

webba wrote:i pm 'd and emailed Matt biut had no reply maybe he is away. is there anybody else that knows how to make a coversion lead?
Yes, a few people have done it. Jon, who posts as Quick Spider has experience with this conversion too :)

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 am

Is mems3 really that much more desirable? What are it's benefits over mems1.9.

If it were me making all these changes I would want to also change the cams and go for a Lotus type of engine with more horsepower.

quick_spider
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by quick_spider » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:24 am

It's the remapping which makes the mems3 desirable.

The lotus engines generally don't have any more horsepower than the mg/rover equivalents - the exceptions being the s1 135 (120 with ported head) and sport 160 (120 with ported head, hotter cams)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:16 pm

The S1 Sport 135 I don't think used a ported head Jon - although I may be wrong. I have a pair of Lotus Sport 135 cams (identical I believe to the R140 cams used on the TF135) which I presume was lifted from a S1 Sport 135 which has been fitted in Project Shed's engine - which, with an otherwise standard head, gives... 134bhp :)

But that's off at a tangent: completely agree with you regarding MEMS3 desirability. As standard, it provides the same power as the earlier versions of MEMS, albeit with smaller injectors and better emissions. But the general interest is indeed the ability to remap it - and this is a cheaper route than buying an aftermarket ECU (and aftermarket ECUs are, in any case, banned in my preferred Sprint class regulations). :)

quick_spider

Post by quick_spider » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Rob Bell wrote:The S1 Sport 135 I don't think used a ported head Jon - although I may be wrong. I have a pair of Lotus Sport 135 cams (identical I believe to the R140 cams used on the TF135) which I presume was lifted from a S1 Sport 135 which has been fitted in Project Shed's engine - which, with an otherwise standard head, gives... 134bhp :)

But that's off at a tangent: completely agree with you regarding MEMS3 desirability. As standard, it provides the same power as the earlier versions of MEMS, albeit with smaller injectors and better emissions. But the general interest is indeed the ability to remap it - and this is a cheaper route than buying an aftermarket ECU (and aftermarket ECUs are, in any case, banned in my preferred Sprint class regulations). :)
Maybe it's just the later 135s then - Roger from Sabre Heads did lots of work on the porting whilst working for Janspeed. IIRC they did over 500 heads, and they were often gave results over 140, but didn't want to encroach on the S1 111S market which had the 143 VVC.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:05 am

Equally possible that these cams were slightly different then... I'll have to do some digging now! :D

chrisrigby

Post by chrisrigby » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:50 am

quick_spider wrote:It's the remapping which makes the mems3 desirable.
Mate you've gave me the bug, very keen to do this now, having a quick chat when you visited is this still achievable with my VVC, for example the loom off a TF will be ok with the vvc mechs?

What kind of price am I looking at for a retune?

itsonlyme54
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by itsonlyme54 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Ha! Thanks for confirming that Jon - I thought that it what Rob meant, but you've saved me the trip into the garage to check.

Hmm, so the question is whether the looms I have in the garage also include the MEMS3 injector loom... :?
let me know what you need Rob and I will send it up

quick_spider

Post by quick_spider » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 pm

chrisrigby wrote:
quick_spider wrote:It's the remapping which makes the mems3 desirable.
Mate you've gave me the bug, very keen to do this now, having a quick chat when you visited is this still achievable with my VVC, for example the loom off a TF will be ok with the vvc mechs?

What kind of price am I looking at for a retune?
Your best starting point if you're going to drop the VVC head back on your engine is to get hold of a MEMS3 VVC loom - pref from a TF160/Trophy F rather than a ZR160/25 Gti loom most of the wires will be the right sort of length (The ZR has a slightly different layout engine bay - eg fusebox etc...)

Remaps are around £250 IIRC, but there are normally group buys at the big events where they can be done for £200.

chrisrigby

Post by chrisrigby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Cheers jon been round to see tony tonight had a quick chat ref this.... got a frame so I can do the head change at the same time as replacing the head back to vvc.. Tonys got me a ECU and inlet manifold, I have the injector loom and tf sensors so just need the loom now and the work can begin....

just need to workout the remapping of the ECU now!

Jon would I be able to rig this all together and if I manage to do the loom correctly would the car run well enough to take somewhere to tune??

chrisrigby

Post by chrisrigby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 pm

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:04 am

talkingcars wrote:
RobboMC wrote:I've just done this the other way as my new engine was MEMS3 and the car is MEMS1.9.
Why?

Out here in Australia it can be difficult to get the variety of second hand parts that you have in UK. I would have needed to source a MEMS3 ECU,
and a MEMS3 engine loom as well as the coil packs.

I had all of the MEMS 1.9 parts from the old engine, so it was just a matter of swapping them in onto the new block/head assembly.
The new engine was far too tempting to pass up, even though it was MEMS3 instead of MEMS 1.9. It has new pistons, rings, head gasket, refitted valves, etc etc.

In the end I just chose to stay with the MEMS 1.9 as the improvement in power seemed small compared to the cost and effort of conversion.

webba
Model of Car: 1.8vvc

Post by webba » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:48 pm

I now have a complete tf 135 car loom and a complete trophy 160 engine loom and ecu. I laid the loom out on my lawn and now I am shitting myself I will need to label all the conectors befor I start I recon can anybody point me to a wiring diagram. also I there anybody that fancys giving me a hand that will be really cool eletrics terify me

chrisrigby

Post by chrisrigby » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 pm

I'd love to come lend a hand but if away with work for a while my conversion will start when o return in late Oct love to know any problems or tips you may have when your done.

carlvk

Post by carlvk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:11 am

webba wrote:I now have a complete tf 135 car loom and a complete trophy 160 engine loom and ecu. I laid the loom out on my lawn and now I am shitting myself I will need to label all the conectors befor I start I recon can anybody point me to a wiring diagram. also I there anybody that fancys giving me a hand that will be really cool eletrics terify me
Where are you in the midlands? if your close enough I wouldn't mind.
There are wiring diagrams on Dieter's site

webba

Post by webba » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks carlvk, I am in South Notts NG13 ,

carlvk

Post by carlvk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:06 am

Hmm sorry that is a 180 mile 3hr round trip for me, that's a shame I would have liked to look at that.
I hope someone nearer can help

webba

Post by webba » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:01 pm

what my project build or the loom?

carlvk

Post by carlvk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:24 pm

The loom part interest me. ATM I am considering lots of options for my next mgf related "fix" I am watching your project with interest.
I had to go through a '97 Nissan micra loom when I changed the engine in my buggy to the 16v micra engine. I enjoyed that. It was complicated by not having a similar vehicle to transplant it to and having to work out what did what but I got it running well in the end.
Now my MGF is largely sorted I miss getting my hands dirty.