respray price - TF boot

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
fatbaldingoldgit
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

respray price - TF boot

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:41 am

I'm pricing up a replacement boot lid for my LE500.

1. Assuming I buy a new in-primer boot lid what would should I budget for getting it sprayed Raven Black to match as far as possible the existing paintwork?

2. How easy is it to transfer the brake light, badge and loom?

3. Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Will greatly appreciate any advice or experience you care to share... :)
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: respray price - TF boot

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 am

Depends on who you take it to, whether you get "mates rates" and how much general prep is required (even a panel in primer is going to take some work!)

I'm no expert, but I'd be thinking of around £300

I have a TF boot lid to fit to my MGF - but I haven't stripped this down for paint yet, so unfortunately I can't comment on the ease/difficulty of removing trim and lights etc. I will therefore be interested to hear your experiences!!! :D

50dwill
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by 50dwill » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:32 am

The body shop here in stoke charges about £90 a panel if that help.

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:39 am

50dwill wrote:The body shop here in stoke charges about £90 a panel if that help.
at that rate..compared to £300 it would be economic to drive it up there! :D
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by mgfsoldier » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:08 pm

I did it the easy way and just found panels in the right colour. Not sure how easy that would be on a Raven black car but the boot light is a pain to remove so would factor in a new one for when it breaks. As for badges I would go with new ones aswell.

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:35 pm

mgfsoldier wrote:I did it the easy way and just found panels in the right colour. Not sure how easy that would be on a Raven black car but the boot light is a pain to remove so would factor in a new one for when it breaks. As for badges I would go with new ones aswell.
Good point...unfortunately Raven Black is not common...but more to the point is I want one of the later boot lids..which include the bracket for the boot popper..That isn't present on pre 2008 TFs..and there aren't many post 2008 TFs being broken...yet :D
- Frank Zappa

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Am I reading this right. You want to buy a new post 2008 Boot Lid in primer, pay to have it painted and fit it in order to replace a good lid with one with a boot popper bracket. !!!
If that is the case, then I would have found someone with the right car, taken some piccies and dimensions and then taken my car to a local restoration shop who would have a nice SS bracket fitted whilst I had a cup of coffee (or two).
Geoff F.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Perfectly good solution there Geoff, but I guess it depends on how OEM FBGOG wants the upgrade to look :)

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Geoff.F wrote:Am I reading this right. You want to buy a new post 2008 Boot Lid in primer, pay to have it painted and fit it in order to replace a good lid with one with a boot popper bracket. !!!
If that is the case, then I would have found someone with the right car, taken some piccies and dimensions and then taken my car to a local restoration shop who would have a nice SS bracket fitted whilst I had a cup of coffee (or two).
Geoff F.
That's still an option Geoff..but properly costing both options is the only sensible way to choose..and If I go this route this I'll have my existing boot lid to sell and offset the cost of getting a new one and spraying it. My existing one needs a touch up anyway because it's quite severely scratched in places. Once you factor that in the cost of going new isn't so high.

Rob is right..if I want the upgrade to look original that is the only way to go.

I don't know where you live but down here in the deep sarf finding anyone competent AND at a good price is pretty near impossible. If you know someone please tell me. Your local restoration shop sounds ideal. Where are they? Alternatively, If you know a good spray shop in the south east that might help..If you know any of the answers to the questions I posed that would be helpful also and much appreciated.

Actually finding someone with the right car to take measurements off is pretty near impossible. I've asked that on this and other MG forums with no luck.

I do have a neighbour though who knows someone who might be able to "knock up a bracket"...Only further investigation will tell if he/she is both competent and reasonable. Once I know both I'll be in a better position to decide.

Either way I'll post the solution on here.... :D
- Frank Zappa

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 pm

I would try some local body shops, not the one at Kingsfold as they charge insurance rates, when I worked for VW we used the one on the main road at Rudgewick, they were good.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

fatbaldingoldgit

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:00 pm

talkingcars wrote:I would try some local body shops, not the one at Kingsfold as they charge insurance rates, when I worked for VW we used the one on the main road at Rudgewick, they were good.
I've enquired of a few local shops..not the Kingsfold one..I'll try the Rudgwick one as well...thanks James.. :D
- Frank Zappa