led head lights

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

led head lights

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:28 am

I bought a led bulb for my outside light the other day the old one was 28w but I could only get 18w in the led but it is twice as bright so would it be fair to say led in the head lights would work the same and what do I go for Thanks
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: led head lights

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:16 pm

The same problems for LED bulbs as for HIDs I would imagine - and in some ways worse: unless they've got improved H1(MGF) H7(MGTF) LED bulbs than the type I've seen, the focal point of these bulbs is nowhere close to the focal point of a standard halogen bulb, meaning that the lamp reflector will be the wrong shape and lead to a widely dispersed light beam... Just wondering which bulb you're planning to use?

Also, don't the LED units run much hotter than HIDs? If so, you've lost one of the suggested advantages of HIDs which run cooler - although this is more of an issue for the MGF rather than the superior TF lamp design.

Also check that your bulbs are E-marked. To my surprise, these are available...

If you've got them, will be interested to hear your opinion of them! :D

Gentil79
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 mpi

Post by Gentil79 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:14 pm

I agree with Rob. The LED lights (like HID's) have a different filament (I know LED isn't a filament, but a leadframe) and therefore produces a beam different from the halogen light.
The lenses and reflectors are specifically designed for halogen lamps and produce a legal beam pattern. So any other bulbs will producing a different partern and therefore may be illegal and could be a potential MOT Failure.
I think that the "E" mark, means that they are legal for sale, but not necessarily for fitments and use because several countries have different legislation.
Gentil Gomes da Costa

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:25 am

Led bulbs aren't suitable for headlights, unlike hid the focal point of the led is off what it should be inside the reflector so there is no defined beam.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:25 pm

But some of the latest models on sale do have LED headlamps. Don't know what type of bulb is used or the lamp configuration to get the beams.

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Tipper wrote:But some of the latest models on sale do have LED headlamps. Don't know what type of bulb is used or the lamp configuration to get the beams.
that is so but the light is built to use the led bulbs which will be different from after market ones.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:32 am

Yes, I agree with you Robbie: the reflector design will be optimised to be used with whatever LED bulb design is used in an OEM product. If there are LED projectors designed for use with a specific LED bulb (I haven't looked, but there are projector units available with HID bulbs, so may be they exist?), that may be the unit to go for.