gear linkage rod

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Pmill52
MGF Register Region: North West

gear linkage rod

Post by Pmill52 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what the linkage rod is for under the engine on the left side looking at the car from the rear??
I assume its the gear linkage rod.
Is this correct and if so where can i get hold of a new one.
The one on my Vehicle has been tightened up at the joints using cable ties , i assume that this was due to excess play causing selection issues, should have only been a temp repair at best but it's still in place and requires a replacement linkage rod.

Thanks.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: gear linkage rod

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:27 pm

You mean the gearbox selector mechanism? You can find this under the gearbox, near the centre line of the car. The selector lever rarely causes problems, but the cable ends can fall off - largely because the joint at the end can disintegrate. Perhaps that explains the cable ties?

But gear selection troubles are generally not due to this. More wear and excess play appears at the gear selector mechanism inside the car.
gear_selector_figure.png
The bronze thrust washers (C) wear - and should be replaced to ensure that there is no more than 0.010" of play.

A bit more here: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DI ... /index.htm

MGFMania

Post by MGFMania » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:43 pm

The old joint has probably fallen apart, kit available for £21.95 on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121893873007

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Just an update on the above.
After looking at it from underneath it looks like a cable goes to an arm, which in turn is linked to another arm via a rod, the rod had a socket to accept the ball on the end of each of the arms.
It's this rod with the socket at each end i am talking about, bear in mind that mine is a steptronic.

Regards.

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 pm

The Steppy has a solid rod near the gearbox which I think is to do with the Park pawl/lock within the gearbox. I presume Rimmer Bros would have the necessary replacement parts available but I haven't checked.

Edit: Just had a look and they are shown on the diagrams http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID018891 Two different types depending on your car VIN number.

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Ha right i see, i will order a replacement from Rimmers, thanks for your help, will check vin no and get one ordered!!
Thanks again.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 am

Ahhhhhhhh! A steptronic! Totally different kettle of fish! :lol:

Pmill52

Post by Pmill52 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Chaps.

Just a quick update on the above in case anyone has the same issues.
Replaced the part with a new one from Rimmers, After taking a look at the old one it became clear what has happened.
At some point the rod had broken close to one end, it had been welded back together at that end. the heat generated had melted the plastic lining where the rod pops onto the ball. this would have caused slack which would have in turn affected gear selection.
So, the owner had tied cable ties round each end to try to correct the slack, blimey, the lengths some people will go to rather than buy a replacement part!!!
Anyway its all done now, thanks guys!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for that update - and I agree - would have been much easier to replace the part! Or perhaps braize it together rather than weld? ;)