replacing thermostat

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

replacing thermostat

Post by daz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:03 pm

I've just had my head, head gasket & liner shims fitted & now it seems as if the previous owner has filled the car with so much k seal the thermostat is sticking so I need to replace that now. Is there a recommended thermostat? & do I need to buy any additional o rings? I'm loosing the will to live with this car now, after a month of ownership nearly £1k in repairs & 12.7 miles I still can't use it :rant: so any advice would be great.

Thanks.

daz

Re: replacing thermostat

Post by daz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I'm thinking of picking this one up:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/MG_TF ... ea5&000325

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Sorry to hear of your woes Daz and hope all will be fixed and running beautifully soon. it sounds like you've saved this car from the previous owner and are paying the price for their neglect/bad maintenance.

Rob's site as ever is very informative on the subject:

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/co ... ations.htm

For what it's worth, many head gasket failures are repaired without ever getting to the route cause of the failure in the first place...the standard thermostat housing is a cheap two piece plastic part held together with brass dowels...under pressure it can come apart slightly meaning a sudden loss of coolant and...HGF.

Upgrading as per Rob's instructions will prevent any repeats- I wish you well with the repairs
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

daz

Post by daz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Just been out to have a look at it, there aren't any leaks. According to the mechanic the left side coolant pipe is getting hot & the right isn't (as you sit in the car) rev the car & the temperature gauge drops. I've removed the thermostat & stuck it in a pan of boiling water & it opens just as the water's about to boil, I haven't got a thermometer to check the temperature. I'll replace it anyway as it's out.

TBH at the moment I don't have the money nor the inclination to fit a PRT, I'm just sick of it all :)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 am

The thermostat starts to open at around 60' and should be fully open at 88' so yours sounds slow.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 pm

An 82deg stat is best for the F/TF.

daz

overheating

Post by daz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:07 pm

I've bought the new stat & tested it along with the old one & the new one opened and closed a bit quicker than the old one. I fitted it & the car's still the same.

As you sit in the car the left under car pipe is hot & the right is cold. The left side of the rad is hot & the right side cold. I did notice while bleeding the system though the radiator bleed screw doesn't tighten up, it's a metal screw & plastic rad, when the car gets up to temp you can see coolant bubbling out very slightly, would this cause the problem?

Is there a way of fixing this or does the radiator need replacing?

I can squeeze both pipes at the rad end & hear the coolant in the expansion tank moving.

It's a 2003 1.8 mpi by the way.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:24 am

I wouldn't think you NEED a PRT, want one maybe, but plenty of 2001 model cars and earlier are still running fine without one.

Unfortunately you are going to need to keep going through the system getting rid of the blockages as you go.

The radiator may not need replacing; any decent shop can remove the header tanks, push rods through the core
and refit the header tanks. However you might find that once the core is out is may be just as economical to fit a new one.

But be sure the engine is warm enough to open the thermostat before you jump to a conclusion. But in a 13 year old car a good radiator clean won' hurt anyway.

daz

Post by daz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:37 am

Hi,

The car's definitely up to temp (been left idling for 20-30 mins) I'm more concerned about the radiator bleed screw not tightening, it looks as if it's been over tightened & stripped the plastic thread in the rad.

daz

Post by daz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:03 pm

a further update, replaced the radiator now with a brand new one & it's still the same, the car will idle fine for 50 minutes, but once up to temp if it's driven in a "spirited" manner the temp gauge climbs to 3/4 quite quickly. I checked the radiator & pipes when the slam panel was removed & they seem to be heating up properly, no cold spots etc. I'm at a loss now.

daz

Post by daz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:01 pm

And another update, if anyone is still reading this :)

I've noticed that when the heater is set to cold even at idle the temperature gauge rises quickly & as soon as it's set back to hot it drops again and now the eml has come on & my obd reader has decided to stop working :(

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:08 pm

Defo a sticky ’stat. Been there, done that, a nasty job with an alloy inlet manifold, a bit easier with the plastic one. It took me 2½ months to tackle the problem, as it was in winter (on the F, standard ’stat) when it happened, I simply had the heater on full all the time which funnily is sufficient to cool the engine! Well at least in the winter.

I fitted the standard thermostat, as well I run a Land Rover PRT (tan) in the TF. No problems whatsoever and both the cars warm up pretty quick. And stay at the recommended temperature when warm.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

daz

Post by daz » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:20 pm

I've replaced the stat & still have the same issue, it still overheats whether the heater is on hot or cold, but it overheats slower when it's set to hot.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Sorry, missed that bit. What about the water pump? A couple of years some were sold in the market with plastic propellers, which tended to “disintegrate” quite quickly.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

daz

Post by daz » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:52 pm

That's my next thought, I've just had a new water pump fitted when the head & liner shims where replaced. The company that did the work are coming back out to look at it, fingers crossed.

CJLMGForum

Post by CJLMGForum » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:08 am

Hey Daz - any news on your woes?

daz

Post by daz » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:50 am

nope, gone away to be looked at now :(

daz

Post by daz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:55 am

Righto, all the pipes are now heating up, but the car still overheats when the heater is set to cold. It seems to take a while for the return pipes to get hot, is this normal? The water pump is ok as are both fans.

I've done a 50 mile trip with no problems when the heater was set to warm, not hot but a short 5 mile blast with the heater set to cold & the gauge started to climb.

Am I ok to temporarily remove the stat to see if that's the issue?

radddogg
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by radddogg » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:21 pm

You can try that yes, I've done before on other cars. As long as the housing seals OK.

Have you checked the joggle valve? Could be a bleeding issue

daz

Post by daz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:15 pm

I've done it myself on other cars, I wanted to know if it's ok on the tf as I read somewhere it was a bad idea, I can't remember where though :-) it's been bled so many times I've lost count