Top 10 MGF Mods?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Re: Top 10 MGF Mods?

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:32 am

Err mods top 10! Not in any particular order!
Milltek exhaust
421 Manifold
Performance air filter
Alloy throttle body
Brake servo bracket
Braided brake hoses
Yellow stuff pads
Polybushed suspension
Better Dampers
Low coolant alarm
And number 11 if you want to drive at night get the best bulbs you can find or HID kit (bit of a grey area if legal) or eat lots of carrots :lol:
You can change all sorts of other things but that's just personal choice!
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:20 pm

Kasper wrote:The funny thing is that only the polybushes are focussed on handling the car, all other are about improving performance or add nice to have things. Improving the handling of the car is most important in my point of view as this releases the engine from the need to do that extra bit. As for the brakes too. Going faster and safer without a lot of investment. OR have the opportunity to use the extra power a lot better.
Am I in the wrong type of car? Switch over to a Lotus?
I really would go for a well handling car before improving other items, I thing Colin Chapman would agree.y
I changed all the suspension bushes to orange polybushes, uprated the ARB's and changed to Bilstein shocks and yes, a big difference and improvement in the handling of my TF.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:36 am

Kasper wrote:The funny thing is that only the polybushes are focussed on handling the car, all other are about improving performance or add nice to have things. Improving the handling of the car is most important in my point of view as this releases the engine from the need to do that extra bit. As for the brakes too. Going faster and safer without a lot of investment. OR have the opportunity to use the extra power a lot better.

Am I in the wrong type of car? Switch over to a Lotus?
I really would go for a well handling car before improving other items, I thing Colin Chapman would agree.y

Hi Kasper,

I owned a Lotus Europa for many years and I must say the MGF is a better car. The Europa was quite tail happy, once you got the back sliding it had an awful tendency to just keep going around. My nickname in the club sprint ranks was 'spinner'. The F is a much more balanced and stable car that slides beautifully and can be caught with the flick of the steering wheel.

My view is that people haven't listed handling mods because they are happy with the handling as it is. I certainly am.
Colin Chapman's cars tended to never be lacking in power or handling, except perhaps the original Europa that was declared a sheep in wolf's clothing by the motoring press of the era.

I find on the road it's rarely that safe to use ALL of the handling the F can offer, we have a little winding circuit near home and the F will run around the bends at ridiculous speed and we aren't even squealing the tyres. More handling might be a waste of time, whereas more power is always nice.

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi Robbo,

Thank you for the reply on my views, absolutely I would not part from my F, for no money in the world. Comparing to a Lotus was just to put a sort-alike car to the MG(T)F where the designer has put focus on different aspects of the car. Being aware my F is a 20 years old car no-one can deny the ongoing decline of the rubbers in the suspension and the loss on road handling resulting. Just for that you'll need to change the suspension.

Be aware my F is driven at speeds above 100 miles/hour on the nearby German motorways frequently. I'm looking for a safe and stable drive, the gain you'll find in a solution like polybushes is immense.

BTW, I dare not to drive my original 2005 MGTF at these speeds, partly due to the lack of braking power (heavily modified on the F). Compared to the F, the TF's the drive is wobbly, less stable and the steering needs minor corrections constantly.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

DanieleT
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by DanieleT » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 pm

For just over £300 a KMAPS ECU will bag you a nicer feeling engine that will pull better throughout the entire range and allow you to pull 7.5k revs.

takes less than 5 minutes to fit.

I don't think many mods can compare for ease of installation and increase in smiles as just a single quick hit tbh.

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:51 pm

More of a "Go-To" list - insert you favourite brands as necessary

1. Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes
2. SS Exhaust
3. KMaps Remap
4. TF160 Airbox and sports cat
5. AP Racing calipers (4-pot)
6. Coloured Seat Belts :-P
7. Polybush kit
8. Uprated Clutch Release Arm
9. Slickshift kit
10. Uprated ARB (85th)
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:15 pm

Let's have a few more 'top 10' lists and then I'll summarise the voting!