Instrument cluster lights

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
AndyMaltese
MGF Register Region: Europe

Instrument cluster lights

Post by AndyMaltese » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi guys,

Another question.
As can be seen in the picture, my instrument cluster has several symbols in between the rev counter and speedometer. However, only two light up when I turn the key.
(The SRS and the steering light) all the others never light up. I looked at the back of the cluster but there doesn't seem to be any bulb holders in the middle. There was only one which lights up when I turn on the lights. Is this normal? Is there any way I can activate these warning lights?
Model is a 2002 TF160

20161021_200434.jpg

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: Instrument cluster lights

Post by daz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:36 pm

The only other light on my 02 tf that lights up is the boot open light

AndyMaltese

Post by AndyMaltese » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:53 am

Ok. I've just managed to fix the boot light problem. Found a broken wire near the boot lid hinge.
I've also noticed that during those few seconds when I am cranking the engine, the oil temp light goes on but only then. The moment I release the key back to position 2 and the engine starts up, the light goes out

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 pm

The oil light will go out once pressure has built up, so that's working fine.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

AndyMaltese

Post by AndyMaltese » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 pm

That would be the oil pressure light Nigel. I'm talking about the oil temp light. If you see the photo above, it's the second from the bottom. The oil pressure light works ok.

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:11 pm

AndyMaltese wrote:That would be the oil pressure light Nigel. I'm talking about the oil temp light. If you see the photo above, it's the second from the bottom. The oil pressure light works ok.
Never noticed mine light up at all.

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 am

On start up my EPAS, and coolant lights come up in the centre section and both go out when that car is running not sure if that helos
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

AndyMaltese

Post by AndyMaltese » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:21 pm

thanks.
Seems like a common issue.
Maybe no two cars are alike. :)