MGF VVC 98 MK1 exhaust popping.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
dunkle
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: VVC

MGF VVC 98 MK1 exhaust popping.

Post by dunkle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Good evening,
just had the belts replaced on my VVC and a new cat and exhaust back box as well. Now the car is popping under deceleration, two or three times when cold and not so much when warmed up.
Have changed the plugs, air filter all to no avail !
The only thing that is worrying me is the mechanic who changed the timing belts commented that the timing was out by a notch. Would this cause the car to over fuel if the timing has been set up wrongly ?
Any help or comments much appreciated.
MGF VVC 98 47K slowly restoring. 8-)

tlonberg
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 99' MGF 1.8 MPI

Re: MGF VVC 98 MK1 exhaust popping.

Post by tlonberg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Dunkle,

Sorry, this post do not help you much, but my 99 1.8 MPi have done the same since I bought it 8 years ago.
I do not worry since it does not seem to do any harm. I actually like the pops. It's like a signature for my MGF.

So far I have changed about every service item, like oil, filters, spark plugs, plug leads, rotor, rotor cap etc.
I have also changed the standard backbox to a stainless aftermarket one. Even the cat have been replaced with a new OEM cat.
But the popping is still there.

When I changed the belt the timing was in fact one notch out from the previous mechanic.
I aliged it correctly when I fitted the new belt. That did not remove the pops either.
Regards
Thomas

dunkle

Post by dunkle » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for that it appears after a lot of investigation the exhaust is not oem and prone to popping. Just going to live with it.

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Popping usually means unburnt fuel. Are you sure it doesn't have a leak somewhere, causing the O2 sensor to read too high? Maybe lots of them have a small leak near the O2 sensor?

dunkle

Post by dunkle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:13 am

Hi,
definitely not leaking and the more I listen to it the more I'm convinced it's the baffles that are gone. That the trouble with buying off auction sites secondhand !

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:30 pm

You said a NEW EXHAUST AND CAT.......
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

dunkle

Post by dunkle » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Sorry new cat and used exhaust from EBay. Thanks for pointing that out.