Starter motor 10 or 12 teeth??

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
jgraham
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 mpi 1996

Starter motor 10 or 12 teeth??

Post by jgraham » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 pm

Good evening

First of all I'd like to introduce myself as a new member... recently bought a 1996 MGF 1.8 mpi in BRG and must say a huge thank you to all the contributions on here which have helped me sort out most problems so far!

My problem... the starter motor gave up. So, having read all about it, I ordered a new one (10 teeth which from my reading seems to be the correct one for this year/engine). Problem is, I have taken my old one out today and it has 12 teeth.

Can I just fit the new one? Why does my car have a 12 teeth starter motor?

Many thanks in advance

JG

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Re: Starter motor 10 or 12 teeth??

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Do they have the same tooth pitch - that is, different diameter cogs?

jgraham

Post by jgraham » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 pm

The one with 12 teeth looks wider. Same length from flange to end of teeth

jgraham

Post by jgraham » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Here is a photo of the 2 together
IMG_1611.JPG

jgraham

Post by jgraham » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Just in case anyone else has this question and needs an answer...

I fitted the new one today, and it works perfectly. Apparently it has something to do with the pinions being offset.

NapalmNick

Post by NapalmNick » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks JGraham,

Glad you posted that mate I have the opposite problem! Ordered a 12 tooth and after pulling the old find I pulled a 10 tooth ! :rant:

Was going to cancel it but your post gives me hope it will work OK anyway so we shall see. Maybe someone else has this issue. I looked around the forum and found a few bits but no-one gave me hope like you lol!

Failing that we could always swop right? ;)

And Hi to everyone :thumbsu: I am also a recent MGF VVC buyer and getting to grips with all her intricacies. This forum has already been very useful as a reference so sincere thanks to everyone who contributes. Felt it was time to sign up and spread some good wishes.

Thanks everyone.