sphere mods

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
on the knoll
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Trophy

sphere mods

Post by on the knoll » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi,
has anyone experience of fitting the mike suter conversion kit for the trophy? ,my nearside sphere has just given up its fluid and replacements are like rocking horse !!!, i did hear of someone reconditioning sets but i am unsure if this was just re-gassing and i cant find who or where they were anyway.

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Re: sphere mods

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi No experience of Mike Satur kit but if the sphere has started leaking it scrap I am afraid!
The Kennedys are the people who are re-gassing the spheres http://www.hydragasandhydrolasticservice.com/home.html
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 pm

You could try Martin Smith at East Lydford http://www.usedmgtfspares.co.uk/

Whereabouts are you in Somerset & Dorset? By your forum name I'm guessing you could be in Brent Knoll or East Brent? Would be good to meet you at one of our meets/runs.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:53 pm

tried martin none available,yes i am just outside of Brent Knoll ,there seems to be conflicting ideas on fitting a pair off of a standard car,some say yes just change the cone others say no . Just have to decide to bite the bullet and buy the mod or keep hunting for the sphere.When (if) i can get it back on the road i will meet up.

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Ta anyway

campbosshassi
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by campbosshassi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm

If you go to the web site above by bigfoomgf, they do a F sphere that is able to be fitted to a trophy, they will explain how they do it
I have used them on my F and their service is excellent Just give them a ring they are very helpful.

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm

just contacted the Kennedys and they can supply a replacement with a 12m warranty, think if i go for this option i will replace all 4, thanks for your replies.

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Been there, done that. Worthwhile re-furb and far cheaper than Mike Satur's or Suplex replacements.
Very happy with the result.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Great to hear ~ hope you're back on the road before long.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
members@mgfregister.org

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 am

Reckless Rat wrote:Been there, done that. Worthwhile re-furb and far cheaper than Mike Satur's or Suplex replacements.
Very happy with the result.
I can endorse that, transforms the ride completely. Very pleased indeed.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Took spheres off of car yesterday,usual seized bolts, skinned knuckles and bad language. didn't have to disconnect the brake servo as i could get to the pipe flare nut from under the wheel arch, worse part was the air filter housing removal, had to stand on a box as the car is on stands at the moment. Sheared off the plastic wheel arch fixing screws bought some from halfords 6 for £2.89. Whilst the spheres are away i will clean the covers up. also noticed when i took the plastic wheel arch lining off there was a huge amount of fine dust accumulated between the liner and metal arch where the front wheels kicks up spray, could have caused some rust issues if i had not cleaned out. Just making up a rig up to extract the air out when the spheres are refitted.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Forget the rig. Put some fluid in the sphere before you connect them up and seal it with an ear plug (don't connect the hydrags pipes until you've got the sphere correctly located and the knuckle engaged as some fluid will come out), then pump up the system to the correct ride height. Deflate and either replace the fluid or let it settle so the bubbles come out. Pump it back up to level and you should be OK. If need be do a third deflate/pump after you've driven the car a bit.

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Sounds like a plan, will update results when complete

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 pm

The hard bit is getting the jacks/stands out from under the car before you pump it!
:)

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Reckless Rat wrote:The hard bit is getting the jacks/stands out from under the car before you pump it!
:)
Leave them under while you get some pressure in the system.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Update on the sphere's,
sphere's returned from the K's,posted Monday arrived Tuesday fitted the next day, decided to replace the shocks as they were 16 years old whilst the car was off the road, had to cut 3 of the top nuts off of the shocks as seized, Gaz adjustable fitted (on offer from a midland classic car dealer). pumped up the sphere's partly before lowering as advised.every thing back on and just took it for a short spin ,only issue at the moment is the interior mirror fell off due to the pounding it took when the sphere failed together with Somerset Council lack of road maintenance, I can recommend the K's if you are contemplating replacing your sphere's very helpful people.
oh and if you do change the sphere don't be to fussy on repainting them before fitment as you will scratch them when fitting. Now where did i put the telephone number for the Chiropractor.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Pleased to hear you've got the car sorted. I knocked the mirror off on my TF a few weeks back ~ Superglued it back in place and so far it's still stuck to the screen.
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org