MGF Tyres

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
gwp
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC

MGF Tyres

Post by gwp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:25 am

Tyres are one of the hottest topics, but could not find the exact answer I was looking for so thought I'd start a new topic...

Having just bought my F out of winter hibernation (I know should have come out months ago, but due to building work couldn't actually get it out the garage!) I've noticed that the rears are looking a bit close to the limit and are unlikely to pass MOT later this year.

I currently have Toyo T1-R all around which were fitted when I put the 16" wheels on in either 2010 or 2011, based on other comments on here seems that it is unlikely I'll get the same compound and since the fronts do not need replacing at the moment I could end up with dodgy handling...

I note the Falkens are recommended for the TF - does this go for the F as well? I'm guessing mixing them is not going to be ideal so with my low mileage I'm wondering if I'd be better using the same size all around (currently 185 at the front and 205 at the back) so that I can swap them around every couple of years to get more even wear - I could potentially make them last close to the 10 year life of the tyre then!

Comments and/or advice appreciated...
MGF 1.8 VVC - 52mm Alloy Throttle Body & K&N 57i Filter

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Re: MGF Tyres

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I got caught up in the mismatched Toyo fiasco I've always liked the T1-Rs but fitted 2 Falkens to the front when the Toyos needed replacing but that left me with a front/rear mismatch not ideal, but it hasn't affected the cars handling like the mismatched Toyos did So not a problem the rears still have 4/5 mm tread so will be a while before I've got Falkens all round as I tend to change them at about 3mm left.
I'm not sure if the F is as "touchy" about tyres as the TF but I wouldn't like to be driving on 10yr old tyres though :D
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Buzzy-Beans
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by Buzzy-Beans » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Surely, unless we are doing 10/10'ths track days absolute ultimate grip isn't the be all and end all situation for the vast majority of us?

My 2001 1.8F is equipped with Avon ZZ3's all round and it handles like an absolute dream, mind you, I am only using 'Madge' for sunny dry days out on the generally well surfaced country roads in the surrounding area.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:34 pm

But Buzzy-Bears - the ZZ3 is in the same league as the Toyo T1r!

IIRC the Toyo mixed country of manufacture problem was more of a problem with the TF.
you can fit 195 all round instead of the 185/205 set up.

I'm not sure about the 16"s but
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 am

With the low prices I see on dealer web sites over there compared to the riff-off prices we have to pay down under I would just replace the whole set of 4. If you've got 7-8 years out of them then the're going to be pretty well done anyway, maybe not worn out but hard and damaged. No matter how well you store the car the tyres will deteriorate over time.

And will you get 8 more years out of the fronts? So when the fronts wear out you'll have the mismatch issue again.

I don't know about the 16"set-up, but my 15" wheels had 195's all round and when I wore them out I fitted 185's and 205's and the car is transformed. On 195's it was quite tail happy, now that's all gone and it's much much better to drive. The 195's were of Chinese origin but were quite soft and sticky.

floozy
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF&80thTF160

Post by floozy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi Graham
Ive had the Falkens on my F for a few years (16s all round) and find them absolutely fine (also got them on the TF). If they needed to be changed tomorrow I would get Falkens again.

gwp
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by gwp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks all for your advise - I went ahead and changed all 4 to Falkens and I have to admit that the difference was noticeable immediately - car felt much more planted on the road and stable at high speed.
MGF 1.8 VVC - 52mm Alloy Throttle Body & K&N 57i Filter

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:26 pm

floozy wrote:Hi Graham
Ive had the Falkens on my F for a few years (16s all round) and find them absolutely fine (also got them on the TF). If they needed to be changed tomorrow I would get Falkens again.
I want these on my F as well, however, I'm not sure about the size.

I've bought a set of 16" flat spokes for my '98 F, but the original owners book in German mentions nothing on 16", I also have a 3rd edition English MGF handbook from 2000 mentioning 215/40/R16 Z all around

Then there's the info on UltimateMG which makes things even more confusing. All around I think I'll just get a set of four Falkens in 215/40.
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)