Mg f won t start

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Tr7s-too
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Mg f won t start

Post by Tr7s-too » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi all.
Had a quick search of starting issues and can't find result matching my issue.

Out in car over weekend 300 odd miles no issues. Came home Saturday night and parked up. went out today (monday) to nip over bristol. Opened car, got in, turned key. All lights light up then nothing....... Slight humming whirring noise for a second of two from rear of car but nadda.
Car not turning over or anything. Checked battery and fully charged, alarm immobiliser seem to work fine not starter as far just dead......
Any ideas anyone? Now stranded as my only working car...... Til today!

Tr7s-too

Re: Mg f won t start

Post by Tr7s-too » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Forgot to add its an x reg f. Never had any starting issue before this.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Had something very similar happen on my TF, so good chance its the same issue.
I had driven 10 miles and turned the engine off. When I tried to restart 10-15 mins later and the dash lights all came on, and I heard the fuel pump start, but it didn't even attempt to turn over.

AA came out diagnosed a stuck solenoid on the start motor, and we push started the car and got it the remaining 2 miles home.
Fortunately mine is a second car so I fitted a new starter motor the following weekend, but I have heard of people successfully freeing the solenoid by removing the engine cover and giving the starter hit/tap with something solid (hammer, mallet or even the end of a broom handle).
Its not a long term solution though ;) and you will likely find the issue reoccurs with increasing frequency and at the least convenient moments.

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Well it's worth a try. Once i can find the damn starter motor...lol will give it a go in the morning. Cheers.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Put the car in 4th gear, let the handbrake off and rock it backwards & forwards. You'll struggle getting anywhere near the starter motor to whack it with a hammer and will likely damage something if you try.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 pm

First port of call is the low tension lead to the starter, pull the lead off and put it back on.

It is a common problem, I've had it on several K series cars over the years.

If it then starts simple replace the terminal on the wire.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:51 pm

It might also be corrosion build up on the starter solenoid spade connector. This can be reached by hand if you remove the wire grille from the boot; move the connector back and forth a bit to make electrical contact again. Grip the terminal not the wire or it will probably come off in your hand! It sounds like either Steve's suggestion or this - both are quick and easy.
My high mileage F had this problem when I stopped for fuel on a filthy cold wet night about ten years back, but never since - and that is many miles!

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Guessing starter air filter side. Will i need to remove air filter box to gain access as to business had wife grill off in boot and can not see starter or any words Going to it...... I'm used to an engine i can see...lol

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Use a torch, it is quite central.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:18 am

The best way to get a look at the starter motor is to:
1) remove the air trunking between the air filter and the inlet manifold.( yes this required removing the engine bay hatch :o )
2) unhook the charcoal canister, unclip the wiring connector only and move it aside without disconnecting any of the pipes.

By doing both these things you can get a look and your hands down in there. A good small torch is also helpful.

Check the low tension feed to the starter with an electrical meter, they can look fine and be broken inside the insulation.
Mine broken inside and it took many hours of searching to find the break.

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Found starter. Was staring me in the face.! Lol tapped solenoid wiggled wires and back on the road! So bit of emery work on the weekend i think.
Cheers folks.
All help spot on and much appreciated !
Last edited by Tr7s-too on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Pleased it's running again.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Me too it's my daily driver. Home from work tonight roof down rainbow on.....

Tr7s-too

Post by Tr7s-too » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:57 pm

The band not George and zippy...

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:46 pm