Timing belt change intervals plus what else

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
johncooper
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGTF 135 M.G. M type

Re: Timing belt change intervals plus what else

Post by johncooper » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm

In the third posting above Keith says "For the MGF the belt change should come at 60,000 miles or 5 years which is ever soonest.
For the MGTF, the belt change should come at 60,000 miles or 4 years which is ever soonest." thus I am amazed that some cars can go for so much longer in respect of time than others, perhaps it is the way they are driven, as it seems to me that 4 years for a change is quite small at my present rate of usage that would represent about 6,000 miles. I'm still going to change mine.

Yes to Rob I am on the Triple M forum and also the VSCC one on both I'm known as Cooperman, an old nickname from Russ Abbot days.

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:37 am

All this talk of timing belts made me think about ours the belts were changed for our Norwegian trip in 2014 as it was 4yrs old it should really have been done again last year :oops: but I never realised time had passed so quick, I'll get it done at its next service no need to rush but something that needs doing! Thanks for reminding me :D
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Countax wrote:Last year my son bought a 2003 Tf with 35k miles on the clock. It had been purchased by the person we bought it from with HG failure. He instructed the local garage to keep the cost of HG repair to a minimum as he intended to pass the car on as soon as it was done. They refitted the original timing belt. When we purchased it i contacted the original owners garage for the service history and they confirmed they had maintained the car from new and had never done the timing belt as it was not due until 60k miles. Once i found the car was being driven with a 15 year old timing belt we quickly replaced it. This was all rather frustrating given the amount of work this entails that could have been done at minimal additional cost when the HG was done.
Nigel
That seems a rather pointless saving Nigel - but at least you identified it as a potential problem before the engine went pop.

johncooper
Model of Car: MGTF 135 M.G. M type

Post by johncooper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Well my timing belt was changed today, by a charming chap from Worthing called Mike Stafford of MJS Auto and Marine, came to my house and did it in the drive for a reasonable sum. It took him just under 2 hours. This included adjusting my gear change which was a little loose. His number is 07956 575220. No connection just recommended by the President no less.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:08 am

I've been looking through a Haynes manual for a 16v Metro GTA I bought for my son's first car back in 1995 before re-cycling.

Timing belt inspection at 48k, or 4 years - replace the belt at 96k, or 8 years.

The script that went with this was "These are the minimum maintenance intervals recommended by the manufacturer for vehicles driven daily".

Something must have happened in the intervening years - or perhaps not :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:01 pm

johncooper wrote:. No connection just recommended by the President no less.
What does Donald Trump know about MGs? :D
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:46 am

All this talk about low mileage cars......

All low mileage cars should be serviced based on time and not mileage.

Engine and gearbox oil, brake fluid, coolant, everything, deteriorates over time regardless of the mileage.
2,000 mile/year cars will end up needing the tyres replaced based on age depending on the driving style
( My tyres will never last that long :lol: :lol: :lol: )

My oil adviser tells me that oil stocks will last in an unopened container for 4 years; that means gearbox's really should be drained and refilled
every 4 years regardless of mileage - does anyone do that?

Yep, it starts to feel expensive when the big 4 year service arrives and you've hardly done 10,000 miles since the last one.

Solution - drive the car more!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:16 pm

mgtfnut wrote:I've been looking through a Haynes manual for a 16v Metro GTA I bought for my son's first car back in 1995 before re-cycling.

Timing belt inspection at 48k, or 4 years - replace the belt at 96k, or 8 years.

The script that went with this was "These are the minimum maintenance intervals recommended by the manufacturer for vehicles driven daily".

Something must have happened in the intervening years - or perhaps not :roll:
I bought my sister in law a 16v GTA. That car was a brilliant drive :D Unfortunately she sold it when it started to develop terminal rot - it when to a couple of lads who lived on a farm and wanted a fun vehicle to slide around fields in... Probably long dead now I fear. But hopefully spend its last days in a blaze of glory! LOL

The belt design I don't think ever changed. But there must have been some warranty claims that led Rover to reduce the service interval? There's likely a useful safety margin in the advised change interval, but the number of MGFs I've seen up for sale as spares and repairs secondary to snapped cam belts means that I wouldn't push my luck too far.

Project Shed needs a cam belt change - but I'll likely change the engine instead (as you do ;))