SRS light driving me mad!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Tudorblah
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by Tudorblah » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Good evening, I’m new to the forum and looking for some help. I have a 2000 MGF VVC which in general is behaving pretty well. 2 days before the MOT was due the SRS light came in and stayed on. I read the forums and did all the waggling under the seat stuff and even bought the ebay airbag light cheat devices to hopefully find which area was at fault. They didn’t help. So I made the decision it had to be the SRS ECU or the rotary coupler. I bought a used ECU and plugged it in, light went off - success! Didn’t drive the car anywhere, next day started it up and the light came back on. I have waggled again but to no avail. Is it likely to be the rotary coupler or something more sinister that is damaging the ECU? Any help or advise would be hugely appreciated. The car is now out of MOT so stuck in the garage now.

phillh
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Re: SRS light driving me mad!

Post by phillh » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:14 pm

I'm not sure what you waggled but I had similar problem.
try this:-

https://www.mgfregister.org/forum/viewt ... ht#p192725

NigelOBB
MGF Register Region: North East

Post by NigelOBB » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Does sound. Like the connectors under either the passenger or drivers seat. The connectors in the plug dry out. Pop them apart and put done Vaseline on the pins. The seat belt tensioners can also cause the SRS light

Both my 75 and TF do the same thing, usually in the way to the test station lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As with most systems in the modern car the only accurate way to diagnose the cause of the light is to scan the ECU with a reader such as a T4 0r a www.pscan.uk

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Tudorblah

Post by Tudorblah » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Many thanks for the advice, I will try the contact cleaner truck and see what happens.

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 pm

NigelOBB wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Both my 75 and TF do the same thing, usually in the way to the test station lol
Naughty little buggers they are...
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

paul_mgb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by paul_mgb » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:24 pm

I've had that a couple of times with my TF. Don't forget to leave the battery disconnected for half an hour before messing with the SRS. I usually squirt WD 40 and wiggle the wires in the connectors under the seats. Does the trick. I've got a friend with a Chinese TF and he had the same.

Tudorblah

Post by Tudorblah » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:51 am

You were all quite right of course! It was the connection under the passenger seat. I ended up soldering them together and doing away with the connector altogether. All sorted. Cheers for the advice.

AntonyM
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by AntonyM » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:05 am

I had the SRS issue a while ago (05TF) ....cleaning the connectors with contact cleaner and then using a small cable tie around them to stop them working loose again solved it for me.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:26 pm

paul_mgb wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:24 pm
.....Don't forget to leave the battery disconnected for half an hour before messing with the SRS.....
MGR say 10 minutes.
Tudorblah wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:51 am
You were all quite right of course! It was the connection under the passenger seat. I ended up soldering them together and doing away with the connector altogether. All sorted. Cheers for the advice.
Pleased you have cleared the light, hopefully you won't need to get the seat out again.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com