Missfire

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Missfire

Post by CubMG » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:08 pm

HI I have a missfire on my 01 MGF mk2 1.8 mpi. 64k miles

If I lift off and then put the power back in it clears but after a while the MIL light comes on ,steady not flashing.
I have changed the cam position sensor for a new one , and I can reset the MIL light with a code reader , which comes up with a p130 fault .
Is p130 the precat sensor ? and what else could I change to sort this out ?
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Missfire

Post by talkingcars » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:18 pm

OBD fault codes are a letter and 4 digits, please recheck the code and report back.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:56 am

Ok it is P0130 ,and I have a ticking noise from around the multiplug midway down the inlet manifold.
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

markvrs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by markvrs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi,

That code is an O2 sensor circuit malfunction ( Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Unplug it and it should run in open loop mode without MIL light if it is faulty ( Runs a bit rich. O2 sensors are mainly emissions related)

Cheers Mark

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 pm

The question is though which one of the 2 sensors ? And is this the cause of the missfire? as that happens before the MIL light comes on . Drives ok and then when you put some power on it hesitates ,if I back off and put the power back on it clears .

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:22 pm

...a quick google said:- 'The 1st sensor is always located the closest to the engine, and the second is always located at the rear end of the exhaust system. Generally, in the case of O2 sensors: Sensor 1 = located before the Catalytic Converter Front (Upstream O2 sensor)'

Follow markvrs' excellent advice but it's probably going to need replacing, anyway, since sensors in these conditions don't last forever...

Let us know how it goes

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Ok where is the plug for the sensor on the pipes that go to the cat.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 pm

CubMG wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 pm
Above the gearbox.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:14 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 pm
CubMG wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 pm
Above the gearbox.
Cheers for that ,I will whip the engine cover off in the morning and disconnect the plug and put a meter on the sensor .I have a TF airbox and 52 mm TB coming plus a front splitter so lots to do .

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Sat May 01, 2021 4:32 pm

Ok the missfire is gone with the sensor unpluged , but the idle is at 1200 rpm. MIL light came on again P0135 ,heater bank 1 . Time to change the Lambda sensor ,a 5 minute job . . . . I wonder how much a garage would charge to do it .

paul_mgb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by paul_mgb » Mon May 03, 2021 3:32 pm

Are you sure its not ignition. I had a misfire because the end of one of my HT leads was corroded. (as it went in to the plug top coil)

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Mon May 03, 2021 8:02 pm

paul_mgb wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:32 pm
Are you sure its not ignition. I had a misfire because the end of one of my HT leads was corroded. (as it went in to the plug top coil)
Did it throw up a P0130 fault code

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 10, 2021 3:29 pm

Misfires on these twin coil pack engines is almost invariably a coil pack failing (*corroded HT lead connectors notwithstanding). Simple fix. You may find a misfire code on an OBD2 reader. Pscan can also report the burden of misfire and on which cylinder(s), which if high enough will cause an emissions error as you'll be throwing unburnt or incompletely burnt fuel down the exhaust manifold and the Lambda will be reading "rich".

If you can work out the pair of cylinders most likely to be misfiring, you'll be able to identify which of the two coil packs are misbehaving. Or replace both as they will likely be the originals and if one is breaking down, the other won't be too far away. :)

paul_mgb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by paul_mgb » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:32 am

It did throw up the appropriate code for misfire on number 4 which was consistent with the corroded lead. I fitted a second hand coil and leads. 3 months later I got misfire on No1 which couldn't have been a lead. I've fitted new leads and plugs now and another secondhand plug top coil. Lights staying off for the moment. I suspect a duff plug because I didn't keep them in order the first time. They were Bosch long life plugs that had only done 30,000. I've fitted bogo NGK 'R' type now. The second hand bits came off a Rover25 I owned. It developed an engine management problem which was eventually traced to a bad connection on the MAF sensor but not before I'd changed loads of stuff.

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Just to close my bit down ,I changed the lambda sensor before the cat and the problem has gone and the car feels a lot better too. I popped into an exhaust fitting place with the sensor and they managed to get the old one out and fitted the new one with the car up in the air ,it would be very hard to do without a lift .

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:08 am

Great updates, thanks chaps! :D

Swapping coil packs is something I've had to do on both a MEMS3 Freelander and ZR that I've had to look after. They clearly have a service life - which perhaps is unsurprising given the environment in which they live.

As for Lambda sensors - they're always a bit of a nightmare, particularly if they've been in the manifold for over 20 years...