Bleeping reversing sensors! Advice on a suitable w/shop manual

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
TedTF85
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: 85th Anniversary LE

Bleeping reversing sensors! Advice on a suitable w/shop manual

Post by TedTF85 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:21 pm

2009 TF 85th Anniversary Edition, new to me.

Reversing sensors: The reversing senors start to bleep as soon as reverse gear is selected. They continue, sounding like a reversing truck, without changing frequency and do not "sense" obstacles, until reverse is deselected. Any info and/or advice appreciated.

Workshop Manual: I see there are .pdf manuals and/or printouts available on-line which claim to cover up to to year 2011 cars, but the date on the cover is 2002! Has anyone any experience of these volumes for the later cars? I would especially like a manual covering the suspension changes on the 85th and electrical diagrams covering the later cars.

Any experience of the MGF and TF Restoration Manual by Roger Parker, which seems to cover a variety of subjects including the later cars?

Thanks in anticipation
Terry
MGCC Ulster Centre.

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: Bleeping reversing sensors! Advice on a suitable w/shop manual

Post by Roverlike » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Reversing sensors were mostly done as dealer fit, and the usualy would not be mentioned in any wiring diagram as they were not mounted as factory fit.

What you have is 4 sensors within rear bumper, connected to separate electronic box most probably placed in the boot of the car, covered by carpet in the boot, and wires connected to your reversing light in the boot. Speaker for bleeping would be near around. This system is separated from the rest except connection to reversing light and power from the car.

As far as I know there are no specific manuals or diagrams which cover specificaly later models. What people use are manuals for 2004 and 2005 MG TF as they are the most close. There are some differencies in wiring but the rest should be fine regarding bodywork or suspension or similar. I do not know is there anything specific on 85th cars.

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:25 pm

Hi Terry.

W/shop manual 9/2008:-

https://clubmgftf.com/wp-content/upload ... Manual.pdf

Yes I've got that Roger Parker manual + it does mention SAIC TFs. I would recommend it. Mine came from eBay.

After 3years I'm still finding stuff out about SAIC TF differences with MGR TFs :( There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion about them for some reason...

TedTF85

Post by TedTF85 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Thanks again for your responses, very much appreciated.

Reversing sensors: my car has only three sensors, centred and R&L. The sound seems to come from the interior of the car. Further delving seems in order, with multimeter in hand?

Manual: wow, thanks for this, much bedtime reading methinks! Just had a peep and it details the fitting of the three "PDC" sensors, wiring loom, module & speaker (not sure where this is, but it shows removing & refitting rear view mirror for access?!

Interestingly, my MGA originated in West Sussex - 1700 PX reg.
MGCC Ulster Centre.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 pm

There's a module for the parking sensors in the boot to the right hand side of the drivers side lights behind the carpet. They will beep when they are wet even if nothing behind the car. Has the car been pressure washed? Perhaps water has got in to the sensors...

Caution: The tyre pressures in the manual are incorrect for the 85th. They should be 30 psi Front, 36psi Rear.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:43 pm

Sorry to hijack but nigelandjo, would those tyre pressures be a Twist of Pepper 7J/8J initiative?

I ask because I've never been convinced they'd be the same as (say) 11-spokers.

Mine seem happy at 28/34...somewhere I saw a recommendation of 26/36 for those too...dunno :?

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:59 pm

Yes unique tyre pressures for the TF85th due to the suspension changes. Standard TF on 11 spokes is 26/36
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Erm...mine's a '10 TF which is a standard, non-LE500 or 85th SAIC TF with ToP wheels from new but no susp mods... :? confused

markvrs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by markvrs » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi,

Going back to the reverse sensors, they were OEM fit on LE500 and 85th, three sensors and have an x-part numbers. Kit can be retrofitted to other SAIC TF's

Part Number MG TF LE500 - XPT000400 Rear Sensor Fitting Kit

400000333 Transducer (3)
400000334 Control Unit (1)

Cheers, Mark
Attachments
image.jpeg

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Roverlike » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Well I am pleased that I learned something new from this thread.

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:14 pm

ArntyR wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:16 pm
Erm...mine's a '10 TF which is a standard, non-LE500 or 85th SAIC TF with ToP wheels from new but no susp mods... :? confused
What pressures does it say in the handbook? I think it will be 26/36.
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 pm

Yep you're right, 26/36 in my book - but we already know the owner handbooks are a hotch-potch. (I gather some early SAIC TFs were even sent out with MGR TF handbooks...)

As Roverlike says we can all learn anew, esp if we keep the spread of info happening.

TedTF85

Post by TedTF85 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Workshop manual - anyone any experience of the download from this online company - https://www.downloadworkshopmanuals.com ... l-download ? The page claims to cover TF years 2001 to 2011 including wiring diagrams, which I am after. I know it's cheap, but as the company has not repied to email enquiries I thought I would check them out first. I did receive, with many thanks, a pdf repair manual from a forum member, but it does not have wiring diagrams and dieter's ones are not up to date for later cars. I have a problem with the boot light not coming on and have checked all the likely chafing points as described on the forum, but on my car (85th) the light is wired into the boot release switch and alarm in some way that I cannot figure out from the older diagrams. I did strip the lock with the solenoid and the problem seems to be with the purple wire from the lock (not the key switch) not becoming live when the lock is open, but cannot fathom out where it comes or goes! To complicate matters the two wires from the light disappear in the loom to the left of the lock wiring (which is the one that is implicated in boot hinge action problems. The wires to these systems are ludicrously light in diameter and stiff, so vulnerable to damage), so the connection must be made via the wiring from the solenoid and lock via another route?
MGCC Ulster Centre.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Back to the sensors (sorry, pun intended) -

switch the ignition on but don't start the engine,
select reverse,
go to the back of the car and put your ear to the sensors,
there should be a buzz from each of them.
Is it the same from all of them?
Is there no noise from one?
Does the beep go continuous if you cover one?

If you can get to the wiring unplug each one in turn to see what happens.

The control box is probably behind the left hand side boot carpet.

For manuals I have used the factory manual, MGZR for the engine and gearbox, Rover metro for a clue to body systems, how to guides on www.the-t-bar.com
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

TedTF85

Post by TedTF85 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:25 pm

Reversing sensors: thanks for that. I'll try later, but have disconnected the plug from the control box to the sensors in the meantime. Have looked up removal of the sensors, the R & L are reachable without dismantling, but the centre one needs the removal of the bumper panel :(
MGCC Ulster Centre.