Project Swamp

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Project Swamp

Post by RobboMC » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:41 am

So one of the ball joint rivets refused to budge and was completely rusted into place. In the end I just turned the entire rivet into drillings!

Quite a straightforward job with the right gear.
lower ball joint.jpg
The trick of course is to remove the rivet head without too much damage to the arm.
Last edited by RobboMC on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:40 am

So I fronted up for a wheel alignment and the mechanic shook the wheels and the front toe went crazy on the computer. At the scale these new machines work at he could tell that one of the tie-rods was worn. We took some camber measurements and he sent me home to fit new tie rods, which I should have done in the first place anyway.

After fitting the FCC kit, a pair of tie rods were an enjoyable doddle. :lol:

jonny69
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: freestyle

Post by jonny69 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 am

Just managed to get the time to read through this. Great read and a job well done

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:06 am

So it's 8 years since I started this project, time for a water pump!

Sydney has a lockdown for 4 months and I expected to work 4 day weeks, so I sourced the necessary parts and removed the timing belt.
Then my boss expected me to work 6 days weeks; working from home but flat out. I was lucky to get a few hours on a weekend for the car.

Then while the coolant was drained I decided it was time to replace the radiator and coolant pipe hoses.
And while the cambelt was off I replaced all 4 camshaft oil seals.

With the engine on a jack to raise and lower the water pump bolts are entertaining but straightforward.

And it was time for the 'C' service. It's not the plugs, filters, or coolant that's the issue, it's just that you're doing ALL OF IT. The service seemed to go on forever. And I found that the Aussie parts industry doesn't have any idea where the air filter box changed from the 120PS to the 135PS and hence MGTF. I ended up getting the same wrong filter ordered in twice, all money refunded and still no air filter. Finally found the right one on flea bay.
At least I could idle the engine to bleed the coolant while I was waiting. :thumbsu:
air filters.jpg

Access to the radiator top hose was a challenge, but I found a way in without removing the whole front end. getting the coolant pipes off at the engine end just resulted in a shower of coolant through my hair.

top hose under slam panel.jpg

So finally just after Xmas when my work shuts for a week I was able to bolt the timing belt back on and enjoy the fully serviced car,
after spending an afternoon bleeding the air from the coolant of course, and some short trips to cycle the system between hot and cold
to allow for top ups as the last cup of air bubbles out.

Here we are at the crest of the Great Dividing range, having covered more miles in a week than I did in the previous 6 months.

top of the range MGF.jpg
Last edited by RobboMC on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:11 am

The remnants of the 'C' service
C service plus.jpg
Fitting the 6th water pump bolt, don't forget it! You can see the shiny new water pump buried in there.

water pump bolt.jpg

I must say after this trip I was very impressed with the FCC suspension kit across the typically rough Aussie back roads through the Snowy mountains.
We hit some rough patches at decent speed and the car always tracked perfectly and predictably. When cornering the suspension keeps the tyre in good contact with the road, creating a surefooted feel and lack of tyre squealing when pushing hard.

These cars must have been superb when they were new, since this service with the new plugs and filters the engine purrs like a contended kitten but jumps to life when required.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:01 pm

They were, and still are if the suspension has been refreshed :thumbsu:

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:46 am

The next chapter in this tale is to prepare for use on the track at club days.

This called for some sort of rollover protection and of course a fire extinguisher.
After the usual Covid delays my Mk 5 Mike Satur rollhoops arrived and after the troubles I overcame with the suspension replacement the fitting of the rollhoops was delightfully easy.
roll hoops.jpg

After a test run around Sydney Motorsport Park I realised that my old Falken 914's were not much use on the track so I dug into my annual bonus and fitted a set of Yokohama Advan's. The result is spectacular.
1147.jpg

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:53 am

I knew eventually I would find a way to wind up the years of making this post.

I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Project Swamp has come to a wonderful conclusion.
0406.jpg
0414.jpg
0445.jpg
Triumph sandwich
0472.jpg
0474.jpg
Photographs by @brettstevensphotography
Last edited by RobboMC on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:56 am

Later in the day harassing a Lotus Eleven

Amazingly, at the end of the meeting the owner donned his helmet and drove the Eleven 100 miles home on the public freeways!
1114.jpg
1120.jpg
1145.jpg
1147.jpg
Photographs by @brettstevensphotography

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:07 am

That's the way to do it! :thumbsu:

Which Yoko Advans did you use? I have AD03Rs on mine - really happy with them! :)

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:20 am

The only one's I can get here in the two correct tyre sizes for the 15 inch rims are 08R.